Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Talk] What browser do you use?

• Please log in to reply

kangaroo319

kangaroo319

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Firefox and Chrome

Advertisements

adbvir

adbvir

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I prefer Waterfox/Firefox over Chrome.  When working an OTL log I like to look up IP addresses to make sure they are not in the Ukraine or China or other non local malware source.  With Waterfox/Firefox it's a simple highlight IP address, right click and "Search Google for".  With Chrome the "Search Google for" option disappears and your only option is to go to that IP address.  I have to copy the IP address, open a new google page and type it in there and then make sure I choose the non-default.  

I also don't like the way the search on the page works.  In W/F the search box (Ctrl + F) stays open when you change from one tab to the next and keeps your latest search showing.  I often open two copies of the same page so I can methodically go through a log on one page and search the other copy for other instances of a word or phrase.  It's a lot easier to highlight the word and hit CTRL + F then switch to the second tab and complete the search.  In Chrome you have to highlight and copy the word, CTRL + C,  then move to the other page,CTRL + F, paste it in CTRL +V.

I miss the search the web box too. If I need to alter the search a bit it is still there.  With Chrome I have to retype the whole thing.

Also I miss the ability to revisit my most common site by simply clicking the down arrow in the URL box.  With Chrome I have to waste space with a shortcut toolbar.  

Also like the about:config page.  Makes it easy to customize. 

PS Waterfox just offered me 34.0

PPS AdBlock Plus is available for both W/F, Chrome and even IE.  Won't use any browser without it.  http://adblockplus.org/

What about Ukraine? 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Normally in Chrome, if you right click and search the search opens in a new tab and you get switched away from the page you were on then you wait for the search to complete.  I prefer to go through a log and right click and search for several items before I go over to the other tabs.  Native Chrome won't do it but I just found that there is an extension called Simple = Select + Search which will make it work the way I want.  Unfortunately you have to tweak Simple to get it to work that way.  First get the extension:

https://chrome.googl...mpnnnmooo?hl=en

Then go to:

chrome://extensions/

Under Simple = Select + Search find Options and click on it.  

Since I prefer to use Google I clicked on Google in the list of possible search engines to add it to the list then selected and trash canned the preselected search engines.

Now the important one:   find Advanced Config in the left column and click on it.  Uncheck "Give New Tab Focus"

Now when you select something and right click you will see a sort of Fishhook icon.  Click on it and a new tab opens with your search but it won't take you from the page you are on.  

As an added bonus it also lets you search on an IP address without sending you directly to the IP address.  Another major complaint I have with stock Chrome.  

Rumor has it that this extension will fix some of the other problems:

https://chrome.googl...imngikgiafmdcep

Just installed it but need to restart Chrome to see if it works.

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

I use both Firefox and Chrome. I like them both. Chrome seems to be more heavy on the resources.