Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's your favorite distro, and why?

• Please log in to reply

Arklelinuke

Arklelinuke

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I looked around but didn't see a thread like this, but one would be very useful to prospective Linux users and those trying to pick a distro for the first time.  What's your favorite distro, and why?

I'll admit, I'm fairly new to Linux, and don't use it as my primary OS, so my knowledge is limited as well, but am always looking for new versions to try.  I've tried Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, SliTaz (used it to resurrect an ancient XP machine), and Puppy Linux.  I'm currently downloading Manjaro KDE.  Out of what I've tried, it's a tie between Zorin and Mint, probably Zorin.  At least on my computer, both just worked.

Advertisements

Nightfall

Nightfall

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

I believe Linux Mint would be the best because it is great on performance & it has some great pre-installed app's for Development, Privacy, and Messaging.

Arklelinuke

Arklelinuke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Yeah, I like Mint a lot, its Cinnamon interface is very similar to Windows, and is basically Ubuntu but with proprietary stuff preinstalled such as flash, so you don't have to do it.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

my favorite distro is opensuse, been using it for years now with kde desktop and i suppose the thing i like best about it is the yast system manager and the fact it is just so stable.

another good point i suppose is the amount of options you have with it, for instance you can choose during the install what desktop you want to use, gnome, kde, xfce, etc. so you can have a full install or a much lighter install like xfce or lxde all from the single dvd install media.

anyway it's my favorite distro and just works and does anything and everything i require.

more about opensuse here :- https://www.opensuse.org/en/

:popcorn:

Arklelinuke

Arklelinuke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Sounds interesting.  I like the idea of having the choice of what DE you want to use, when installing.  Had Ubuntu shipped with that option, it would have rendered so many forks not necessary.

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

That depends. For daily use I prefer Ubuntu and Debian.

For tinkering around, I live Arch Linux and CrunchBang!

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

I've tried Ubuntu on an old Dell XP machine but it wouldn't run very well so I deleted it and installed Zorin Lite which runs great. I tried running the full version of Zorin but my XP box won't run it at all,even with 2gb of RAM and Pentium 2.xx. Sounds like Mint might be worth checking out as well.

robherr

robherr

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

my favorite distro is opensuse, been using it for years now with kde desktop and i suppose the thing i like best about it is the yast system manager and the fact it is just so stable.

another good point i suppose is the amount of options you have with it, for instance you can choose during the install what desktop you want to use, gnome, kde, xfce, etc. so you can have a full install or a much lighter install like xfce or lxde all from the single dvd install media.

anyway it's my favorite distro and just works and does anything and everything i require.

more about opensuse here :- https://www.opensuse.org/en/

:popcorn:

I love this one as well with Linux Mint.

Lucky123

Lucky123

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I would have to say Fedora is my favorite distro because of the clean feeling and I ust like how it operates overall.

One Virus

One Virus

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I use kali linux, I dont know why but I just do.

Advertisements

virtualsrvnet

virtualsrvnet

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I love to use Ubuntu which is my favorite distro.

Best regards,

http://www.virtual-server.net

Edited by virtualsrvnet, 18 October 2015 - 11:42 PM.

vizgix

vizgix

• Pip
  • 1 posts

NIX OS

its still new and Improving, but is extremely innovative and fixes a lot of dependency issues.

I can see NIX OS rapidly picking up speed and popularity in the near future.

Rikai

Rikai

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I currently have a Debian machine, but I have toyed with Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Gentoo, and Kali. 

Ubuntu works quite well, and it was a good introduction to Linux. I switched to Debian shortly afterwards. As I got more comfortable with Linux, I tried Arch on a suggestion. I wiped my computer and installed Gentoo, which was a whole different experience. Eventually, I got another laptop. Since then, I've just had Debian on it, as it just works. I can tweak it enough to my liking as far as the DM/WM goes, and if all else fails, I can drop into a terminal session and run the commands by hand. The fact that it is based on the APT repository system is a big plus, as the dependencies can be automatically resolved by the package manager. If the package you need isn't in the repository, the package can still be built from source.

Romattman

Romattman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Linux Min 17.1 Rosa (latest release) ....... easy user friendly interface ........ super fast boot up/shutdown times ......... tons of support and tutorials on linux mint forums ...... none of that Microsoft bloat and malware/virus crap ...... I run it on five of my seven devices. Highly recommended for pros and novices alike. :geek:

imort

imort

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I looked around but didn't see a thread like this, but one would be very useful to prospective Linux users and those trying to pick a distro for the first time.  What's your favorite distro, and why?

I'll admit, I'm fairly new to Linux, and don't use it as my primary OS, so my knowledge is limited as well, but am always looking for new versions to try.  I've tried Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, SliTaz (used it to resurrect an ancient XP machine), and Puppy Linux.  I'm currently downloading Manjaro KDE.  Out of what I've tried, it's a tie between Zorin and Mint, probably Zorin.  At least on my computer, both just worked.

Well I'm more a server person and using mainly Debian and CentOS on them. If you're looking for the desktop then you need to take a look on Mint and Ubuntu I believe.

If you need more experiments then just pick any new distribution :)

I'm also a little tired about consoles and using the same command over and over

So using one of control panels seems a good choice.

[removed links]

Edited by admin, 18 June 2016 - 10:03 PM.
spammy links