Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

poor performance, locks up randomly restarts [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
  • Step 1

This process will attempt to restore the system to a working state. If it does work as expected, please back up all pertinent files.
    • Press and hold the F8 key immediately. You should do so before the Windows logo comes up.
    • If successful, you will see the Advanced Boot Options screen like below. Use the arrow keys to choose Repair Your Computer. Press Enter after.

j6Y6bZp.png

• Select US as the keyboard setting and click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair (Windows 7), and then click Next.
    • Select your user account if prompted and click Next. You will then see the following:

224952-systemrecovery_original.jpg

• Select System Restore.
    • When prompted, choose the latest date wherein the system was still functioning.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts until you are asked to reboot.

Note: If the system is still unable to boot normally, repeat the process and choose a restore point earlier than that of the previous until all points have been exhausted.

Advertisements

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
the Advanced Boot Options load to a blank screen that locks the computer up

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts

Hi richclan,

Let's do this via the repair disc, then. Please follow the instructions 'here', except for the 7th step. Choose System Restore instead.

Let me know if you are able to push through.

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

the repair disk does the same thing 

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts

Hi richclan,

That is some streak of bad luck. :headscratch:  Can you confirm no booting option works any longer before we proceed? My next option is to guide you through a repair installation via flash drive--all existing files will be kept and Windows will be as good as new. You would need a flash drive that is big enough (at least 4 GB), another computer with a stable Internet connection to download the operating system, and the laptop license.

Let me know once ready.

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

ok great thanks. i work 9 to 9 all week so no time to try this now.. i'll try the boot menu tonight .. if nothing works can you post the repair and ill slug through it late nights.

fyi i made an system image backup 3 cd laptop recovery 3 cd and system repair 1 cd , when i first got MY laptop about its an acer win7 64bit also 

thanks

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

the error appears to be unmountable_boot_volume  

it wont boot in any way 

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts

Hi richclan,

Before proceeding:

• Do ensure that the laptop sticker does state Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). If it does not, please post back here so I can give you the correct operating system.
  • Kindly read the below (and the links it directs to) before performing any of the steps.
  • Ask if anything is unclear.

Assuming everything about the above is A-OK, please proceed.

• Step 1

Download 'Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) with Service Pack 1 by Microsoft' and 'Windows USB/DVD Download Tool by Microsoft'. Save them to your desktop.
    • Prepare your flash drive.
    • Follow the instructions on 'this' page (Part 2).
    • Set the flash drive containing the operating system to be the first boot device via the BIOS (see Method 2 'here').
    • Restart your computer and wait for it to load the flash drive.
    • Once it does, follow the steps on 'this' page, beginning from Step 8. Do note that Step 11 is very crucial if you wish to keep the existing files.
    • Windows should be successfully restored. Please activate it accordingly using the laptop sticker serial by following Option Two 'here'.

Happy New Year!  :cheers:

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

finally got a flash drive just completed steps BUT it boots and stays on setup is starting. about an hour so far, shutting it off now try it again later

thanks

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
Hi richclan,

Kindly test the flash drive containing the installation on another computer. If the setup proceeds (which you just have to cancel after), it means the problem has to do with the laptop we are working on.

Advertisements

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

flash drive is ok

still gets stuck on setup is starting

what next ?

Edited by richclan, 06 January 2015 - 06:12 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

My apologies for the delay, Pyxis is currently unavailable and she has asked myself to cover for her.

Could you provide myself please with a brief update pertaining to the machines current issues and how it is performing etc. We will then go from there, thank you.

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

i have no change from post #17  problem something to do with unmountable_boot_volume

thanks

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Acknowledged and thanks for the update...

Is the machine able to boot into Normal Mode ? If so please follow the instructions in the following tutorial:-

How to create a Windows 7 Startup Repair Disk

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
It won't boot at all..something happened during this thread .