Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 Desktop PC can't boot (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

Pufi

Pufi

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I used windows disk utility to shrink the "D:" partition, then I used aomei partition utility in PreOS mode to move the unpartitioned space and allocate it to "C:" partition, but now my computer won't boot. It's stuck at
"Pri master: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22NP20 1.00
Ultra DMA Mode-2
3rd master : SAMSUNG HD160JJ ZM100-47
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK"
and it can't move on.
Please help me!

Edited by Pufi, 14 December 2014 - 04:19 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:welcome:   Pufi,

Some clarification is needed as your topic title says "Win7 Desktop PC can't boot" but in your OP you say " computer won't boot. It's stuck at

"Pri master: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22NP20 1.00
Ultra DMA Mode-2
3rd master : SAMSUNG HD160JJ ZM100-47
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK"
and it can't move on.

Is the computer stuck in the BIOS or does the computer try and boot but Windows fails to start loading and hang at a black screen etc.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well, it is stuck before windows can load, it is where it's doing all the checkings, and a big "American Megatrends" logo is shown

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

The computer is failing the power on self test (POST) before it is getting to Windows and most likely it is failing when checking the HDD, try restoring the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS, they may be listed as "default factory" or "most stable settings" the optimised settings option if available should not be used.

Alternatively, you could try removing the MBs CMOS battery for a few minutes and then replace it, see attachment below;

Do you have a Windows 7 installation disk in case it is needed.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I can't get to BIOS, but I am going to try to remove and replace the CMOS battery and tell you the result.
Yes, I have a windows 7 installation disk

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:thumbsup:

When you post your update can you also tell us why you could not access the BIOS, was your keyboard not working for example.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I tried removing and replacing the battery, still nothing...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

When you post your update can you also tell us why you could not access the BIOS, was your keyboard not working for example.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I couldn't access it because of the POST failure, on my computer it needs to pass it so then I can access the BIOS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Sorry but that is incorrect as you interrupt the POST procedure when you access the BIOS, if that was not the case how would you be able to configure the boot order so that the BIOS knows where to look for the OS. The POST checks out the hardware and only when it passes will the BIOS release control of the hardware and allow Windows to take over, if you doubt me read the article here and in particular the following " Once the POST has determined that all components are functioning properly and the CPU has successfully initialized, the BIOS looks for an OS to load."

The present issue/s may be nothing to do with you resizing partitions etc as when there is a problem with the HDD or the OS on it you will normally get one of the two following messages, possibly worded different but meaning the exact same thing " No boot device found" or " restart computer and select proper boot device " Have you had any such on screen message.

To be able to progress with this we need some information about your computer and keyboard etc, see canned text below;

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including amount) add on video card if one is used and the keyboard, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Advertisements

Volatility34

Volatility34

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Shutdown your computer. Plugg off all the power supply then remove another time the cmos battery ,and press start for 10 seconds. If it is a computer and not an laptop there is also a jumper but depends of your Mobo. Anyway - leave the battery out for 10 minutes , and when you insert again and start your computer - try to press a key -the default key is F2 ,canc ecc -look at your computer specs for bios . You must type the key since the computer start ,and not waiting to booting because it surelly fail again. Setup your clock ,go to the boot section and select the filed load default setup. Try to see if you hdd is read ,in the case that fail again , shutdown again ,restart go to bios and select the device for you dvd recovery. Run this recovery or select a restore point.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
My PC is an ASUS P5L 1394, with 3 GB of RAM, The video card is a nVidia 1GB, I don't know any other info about it, and the keyboard is a Genius GK-070012/U

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Actually, I'll post a picture of what happens when I try to boot into BIOS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Your MB has the wired PS/2 type keyboard ports but can you confirm that the Genius keyboard is the USB type - if it is, do you have or can you borrow a wired keyboard as it is possible that you cannot access the BIOS due to the USB ports either being disabled in the BIOS or faulty, being disabled in the BIOS is a common problem and one reason why they should not stop making PS/2 type MBs and keyboards until there is another means of accessing the BIOS if there is a problem with the USB ports.

As an outside chance that the one USB port could be bad, try all other USB ports.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
It won't let me upload the photo, but I'm pretty sure the keyboard works - and yes, it's an USB keyboard - because when I press the delete key, it says " Entering setup... ", but it doesn't enter it, still stuck at the hard disk thing, because I have the "Press DEL to enter setup" text in the POST, and when I press DEL, it changes to "Entering setup...", as I said earlier

Edited by Pufi, 14 December 2014 - 09:47 AM.