Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

emachine

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I was given and E machine that use to run XP and I put in a new hard drive and installed Vista. I downloaded the drivers from the E-machine site and all worked fine. When I git it they had removed a lot of their stuff so when I tried to use it, it was jerky and did not run well at all so I reinstalled the vista and downloaded the drivers as before but now it all works except for the internet. It tells me that it is not compatible with Vista. It is a Realtek RTL8101. I went to other sites but could not find what to do.E-Machine model #EL1600-01H, 500 gig hard drive with 1 gig of ram.32 bit operating system with sevice pack 1. Any help would be appreciated.

ginnyjoe

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Did you install the main board chipset drivers first?

The e-machine site looks to have everything you need.

Check in device manager for any ? or !

Here's How:

1. Click on the Start button and then Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the Administrative Tools icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. In the System and Maintenance window, click on the Administrative Tools link near the bottom of the window.

4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

5. When the Computer Management utility opens, click on Device Manager on the left side of the window, located toward the bottom of the list under the System Tools heading.

Device Manager should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Device Manager listed, you may need to click on the |> next to System Tools.

6. You can now update device drivers, view system resources your hardware is using, or do whatever else you need to do in Device Manager.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Did you install the main board chipset drivers first?

The e-machine site looks to have everything you need.

Check in device manager for any ? or !

Here's How:

1. Click on the Start button and then Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the Administrative Tools icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. In the System and Maintenance window, click on the Administrative Tools link near the bottom of the window.

4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

5. When the Computer Management utility opens, click on Device Manager on the left side of the window, located toward the bottom of the list under the System Tools heading.

Device Manager should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Device Manager listed, you may need to click on the |> next to System Tools.

6. You can now update device drivers, view system resources your hardware is using, or do whatever else you need to do in Device Manager.

I did what you said and i now have the internet. My problem now is if I am doing something in games the system is jerky. Is there a solution for that. Thanks for the help at least I can now get on the internet.

ginnyjoe

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Did you install the VGA driver?

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I did install the vga driver but I believe it was for xp. For the life of me I cannot remember where I got the ones for vista. When I go to emachines.com and put in the computer model it says no service and I know I got the chipset for vista but cannot remember where. Is there a link you can give me to get there. 

Thanks

ginnyjoe

Edited by ginnyjoe, 17 December 2014 - 01:09 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Funny, a search doesn't bring it up but if you drill down through with a manual search the drivers come up.

This link shows vista 32 bit.

http://www.emachines...content/drivers