Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not 100% sure about my CPU temperature. (Resolved

• Please log in to reply

Blackbeared

Blackbeared

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

So hey everyone. Was looking for a forum to answer computer related questions and I came across this one on google so I decided let's give it a wirl.

As my title suggest, I'm not 100% sure about my CPU temperature. I have a Intel Core i7-3770k (4 cores) CPU. When I just boot up my computer and I'm not starting anything my idle temperature is around 35-38 degrees celsius, I think that's normal and good.

The temperatures go up when I'm watching a livestream on Twitch and have it 'onscreen'. So like I'm actually watching it, if it's in another tab it's not to bad. Same goes for YouTube and some games.

When I have Twitch on focus the temperature rises Core 1, 3 & 4 are around 50 - 54 and Core 2 goes to about 54-60 and can sometimes spike to around 60-65 ( I think that was the highest with ONLY a livestream open ). When on YouTube it's around the same, maybe 3-4 degrees less but similar. 

Note: The browser I'm using is Chrome at the moment. Not sure if this can cause the issue but I like chrome :P.

So there's also a few games I play. Mainly modded minecraft, Smite, some steam games, sometimes League of Legends. Those are most of the games I play. Now depending on the game the temperature differs.

So in general, when playing Minecraft the temperature is the higest, mostly around 60+ atleast, sometimes spiking to 70-72 which seems high to me. Other games is near 60ish, it goes up and down but mostly around 60.

Whenever I want to play a game or want to watch the stream, I can't do both. I have to close one or the other, atleast that's what I'm doing as I'm not sure about the temperatures, it seems hot for me but that's mostly because I am never 100% sure what normal temperatures are and when to get worried and stuff like that.

As far as my CPU goes, it's not that old, I had to replace my old cpu earlier this year because of a lightning strike hit the house next to use and caused my computer to break through electricity. Other than that I haven't changed anything to my computer or CPU. No external fan or stuff like that. Earlier this week I did cleane my computer again, opened it up and removed most of the dust that I could reach, which decreased the temperature by 1-3 degrees at max but it's something.

Should I be 'worried' or should I keep my eye on it, CAN I play a game and have a stream in the background like would the temperatures be fine ( I'm assuming temperatures will be around 70 or higher if I do both ) or should I perhaps get a CPU cooler? If it's recommended to get a CPU cooler, is there a good recommendation for CPU coolers?

Anyway thanks in advance everyone, if you need more information please mention it I'm more than happy to provide more information!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    Blackbeared,

The maximum safe operating temperature for your CPU is 67.4°C and you computer should have shut down when reaching this temp and unless you have a notebook most certainly before reaching 70 - 72°C

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Blackbeared

Blackbeared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

:welcome:    Blackbeared,

The maximum safe operating temperature for your CPU is 67.4°C and you computer should have shut down when reaching this temp and unless you have a notebook most certainly before reaching 70 - 72°C

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Thanks for the reply. Let's see if I can find all the information hehe.

It's a normal computer, not a laptop or notebook and it's a custom build one. Not sure which case I have around it but it's a standard 'tower' one. Nothing special. I will search for it and if I find it I'll post it here.

Ram: Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2 8GB HyperX DDR3 CL9
Video card: Asus EAH5750 Formula 1GB GDDR5

PSU : Cooler Master Real Power M520

Motherboard: Gigabyte S1155 GA-Z77X-D3H ATX

CPU: INTEL Core i7 3770k 3.50GHz S1155 8MB Cache

Also about the temperature. I've been doing some research around the internet about the i7 3770k and on the intel website itself. Apperently it can reach a max of 105 degrees celsius (which is ofcourse not recommended) with some saying that at around 90 degrees it starts to 'slow things down' to not go for taking damage etc, that overclocking can go up to 90 degrees or something. I'm not to sure I don't overclock.

Anyway thanks. If there's more information needed let me know and I'll update or reply!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not sure where you read those temps for the CPU but trust me they are way off, CPU specs here

Not a very good quality PSU I`m afraid as it says 520W but only put out 408W when independently tested and your video card requires 450W and 30 amps on the +12V rail, this shortfall will create more heat as your hardware is being stressed.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Blackbeared

Blackbeared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

So I downloaded the files and ran them. I did ran them with a stream in the background (In focus) so the temperatures were 'higher' so you can see the results.

SpeedFanResult.jpg  

This is the speedFan result

HWMonitorResult.jpg

This is the HWMonitor Result

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Just looked at the online manual for your MB and it was useless  :( what I was hoping to find was how many 4 pin fan headers the MB has, these allow you to control fan speeds + monitor the temps.

Your CPU is running hot and this could be as a result of the hot air inside the case not being gotten rid of quick enough, van you tell us how many case fans you have and where in the case they are located, see example attached;

Blackbeared

Blackbeared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Alright. Took a picture a few moments ago, I hope it's clear enough. I've marked with red squares where there's air going in/out. There's only 1 fan that is at a similar place as the picture you showed. But well here's the picture!

VentPictures.jpg

It's been resized a bit and it has been taken by my phone so I hope it's clear enough.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

That is not too bad so in all honesty getting a better HS/CPU cooling fan and reapplying thermal paste is your best bet, adding a case fan to the front would help but not as much as it would if you did not have the side case fan.

Got to call it a day now as it is getting late here in the UK and I have an early start in the morning, catch you tomorrow.

Blackbeared

Blackbeared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

That is not too bad so in all honesty getting a better HS/CPU cooling fan and reapplying thermal paste is your best bet, adding a case fan to the front would help but not as much as it would if you did not have the side case fan.

Got to call it a day now as it is getting late here in the UK and I have an early start in the morning, catch you tomorrow.

Alright man, getting late in the Netherlands aswell so going to sleep here soon aswell. Thanks for the help! Now to find a good CPU cooler. I've got options hehe :).

Thanks though!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

A recent good review of coolers, > http://uk.hardware.i...the-best-choice

Some points to watch out for. 

Ensure the hight of the cooler will fit the width of your case.

If you have RAM with tall heat fins, check the clearance to the bottom of the cooler fan/s.

Totally remove and clean the old TIM from the CPU top before applying new TIM.  

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Alright man, getting late in the Netherlands aswell so going to sleep here soon aswell. Thanks for the help! Now to find a good CPU cooler. I've got options hehe :).

Thanks though!

You are most welcome Blackbeared, keep us posted and any other questions let us know  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the additional support iammykyl  :)  :thumbsup:

Blackbeared

Blackbeared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Alright so just to put an update. I've been doing some searched for like CPU coolers and some thermal paste. But I'm curious about if it fits kinda.

I have taken two pictures, one with and one without the standard cooler that comes with the i7 cpu, or well atleast it was in it.

InsideWithCooler.jpg

InsideWithoutCooler.jpg

( I've cleaned it a bit after the photo was taken ).

So I've measured from the middle point of the CPU there towards my RAM on the right (or in the photo, up top). And from the middle point to my RAM it's around 5.5 cm. The RAM itself is around 30mm tall.

Looking at external CPU coolers, the one that alot of people have recommend as 'Best buy for your buck' kinda deal is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

The reviews are good, they say it cools the CPU very well, just the fan apperently can make some noise at high RPM but there are mixed results. Some hear it louder then others.

But I'm more concerned about the size. In height I'm not really that worried as I can remove the purple thing (That was in the other post of mine) but in diameter I'm not 100% sure on how to look. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO has a diameter of 120mm. So I'm not sure how to 'calculate' this with the room I have.

Any ideas, or other great recommendations for a great external CPU cooler with a relatively low price (Need to save some money for christmas after all :P)!

Also this is in regards to the post that iammykyl made about removing the thermal paste. Any standard tools that can be used for that?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, just a quick step in if you don't mind.

For cleaning off the old thermal paste, you need to obtain what we in the UK call rubbing alcohol, most chemists or pharmacists will stock it, though translation of it may be a difficulty over there where you are.

However once you obtain some, soak a soft cloth or cotton wool with it and gently rub the surface of the CPU, making sure you don't allow any to run off, the rubbing alcohol will gently dissolve the old paste for you. Do not scrape the surface with any metal implement, any scratches will reduce the efficiency of the heat transfer.

If any of the alcohol does spill onto the motherboard, make sure it is perfectly dried off before doing anything else as it is conductive when wet.

Nev.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Measure the dimensions of the present cooler and let us know what they are (L) X (W) X (H) please.

Comprehensive guide to removing and applying thermal interface material (TIM) here

Blackbeared

Blackbeared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Measure the dimensions of the present cooler and let us know what they are (L) X (W) X (H) please.

Comprehensive guide to removing and applying thermal interface material (TIM) here

I'll have to reopen my computer to find the measurements, but it's the standard one that intel has set on it.

I believe the name is something along the lines of "desktop intel core i7 series cpu original cooling". There are pictures on google that can be found. But it is very small, it's not really comparable with a external CPU cooler.

If I had to make a guess, it's not higher 6 CM at max, width perhaps about 15-18 CM at max at length should be about the same.

It's the one that comes with the processor, the standard one. I'll open my computer a bit later if you want the actuall measurements though, have to do something on the computer first hehe.