Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Google Chrome crashing and laptop shutting down.

Google crash

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hello, recently I have been experiencing something...odd. Earlier today, I hadn't been online more than 5 minutes when Google Chrome decided to crash resulting in my laptop shutting down (but not off). After that my laptop's screen flashes/flickers white. I don't know what to do other than closing my laptop's lid and waiting until it is completely off. This has happened a few times over the past several days. Is it Google Chrome? Do I need to uninstall Google Chrome and re-install it? If so, will I lose all my bookmarks? I have quite a lot. I read that Chrome is a memory hog and that I should switch web browsers. I have Internet Explorer but I don't use it because I don't like it. Firefox?

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5110 and runs Windows 7.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. :yes:

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,273 posts
  • MVP
Get the free version of Speccy:
http://www.filehippo...download_speccy  (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  Download, Save and Install it.  Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Attach the file to your next post.  Uninstall Speccy.
1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:
* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning
Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:
1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Type this chrome://conflicts to see if there are any software conflicts or malware that causes this to happen.