Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Usage jumps to 100% on windows 8.1 laptop?

Disk usage windows 8 Ive tried

• Please log in to reply

taytar2

taytar2

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Very frequently my laptops disk usage (as seen in task manager) jumps to 100% even if the all the programs below use anywhere between 0 MB/s to .5 MB?s. I've tried disabling superfetch and windows search. I've also already increased the maximum disk usage allowed. When the disk usage raises this high, usually on start up or when opening a new process, my laptop hangs and indefinitely refuses to respond until a forced shutdown and restart.  I've been researching fixes to no avail banghead.gif.  Please help!!

Advertisements

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hi Taytar2,

I have been looking on the net, and I had come across this:

then open a cmd.exe as a admin (windows key+x+a)
now you stop various suspected services and watch how the system responds in resouce monitor.
for example:
net.exe stop superfetch (hit enter and see if your disk usage goes down after a min or two)
net.exe stop "Windows search" 

I mention these two because I have seen disk corruptions that made these two services go nuts and take 100% disk bandwidth

I have also seen tasks in the task scheduler that did the same thing until you killed the task.

in all the cases you had to find out the cause of the problem and fix it and the service then worked as expected.

for example, one case had a filesystem corruption that made a loop in the directory structure such that when windows or any program scanning the files would never end and just continue scanning the same set of files forever. In one case it was building a search index and the database just kept growing and growing in size until all of the hard drive was used.

in most cases all you need to do is run cmd.exe as a admin then
chkdsk.exe /f /r on your drives and the condition that causes the problem gets fixed

Have a try of this and let me know what happens :D.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi taytar2, welcome to GeeksToGo :)

May I ask you what is the current size of your "pagefile"? Right-click on the Windows logo and select System. From there, click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane. From there, go under the Advanced tab and click on the Change.... Button. Is it possible for you to give me a screenshot of that window? You can easily take a screenshot by pressing the Alt + Prnt Scrn buttons, then go in Paint and press on Ctrl + V to paste. From there, you can save the picture and attach it to your next post. Along with that, may I ask you how many RAM do you have? It can be seen in the System window that you opened earlier.