Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hard drive won't load on computer

• Please log in to reply

caras

caras

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I have a external hard drive (verbatim, model #sns2tb), and I have never had issues before, but when trying to plug it in tonight my computer isn't recognizing it.  I went into computer management and it shows up as Disk 5 and underneath says unknown, not initialized.  I have used it on this computer before.  when I click properties it says this device  is working properly under device status.  I tried it on my other computer as well, and same thing, it's not showing up.  I did try uninstalling the driver on that one and plugging the device back in, and it said it successfully loaded the driver, but it still isn't working.

Should I click initialize?  I have very important data on there, and pictures that I would be devastated to lose, so I don't want to do anything that will wipe everything.

Advertisements