Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why is MSE is suddenly scanning much slower?

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

About the same number of files scanned, but the last 2 days doing a quick scan on MSE now takes about 6 minutes; before it was just under 2 minutes. Only change - updated Adobe Flash Player.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Try TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer before your next scan with MSE. :)

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I think Adobe installed some extra things besides just updating the flash player. Here is a screen shot of the Adobe programs and the days they were installed. Is it safe to uninstall any without affecting the Flash Player?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I think Adobe installed some extra things besides just updating the flash player. Here is a screen shot of the Adobe programs and the days they were installed. Is it safe to uninstall any without affecting the Flash Player?

Attached Thumbnails

• Installed programs.jpg

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Here is a screen shot of the Windows/Temp folder contents. Anything there safe to delete? All my other temp files are empty.

Attached Thumbnails

• app data temp.jpg

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

If it is something you did not install yourself by all means uninstall.

Here is a screen shot of the Windows/Temp folder contents. Anything there safe to delete? All my other temp files are empty.

All are fine to delete if you so wish and or TFC will do so if used.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Hey just an FYI your Malwarebytes is outdated.

vteZNyI.png

Here is the link to update.

https://www.malwareb...CFUEV7AodZE4Avg

Also you may consider a tool to help you keep your software updated. :)

http://filehippo.com...oad_app_manager

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I tired to update MalyareBytes a while ago, but it kept crashing my system, so I went back to the previous version I had, but I appreciate your pointing that out.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
I would not use anything FileHippo related at all now as they of late foist a download manager much akin to the dross from Cnet. So a good chance you may infect a machine with unwanted third party adware type toolbars for example...

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I don't download anything I don't absolutely need to. I am very careful about this and also opening emails from unknown sources. I desperately attempt to keep from getting an infection, but it seems the more I try, the more I seem to get one. Two months ago I spent a week on this message board with someone helping me clean my system. I even hesitate asking for help here since it always seems to necessitate downloading and installing software that I am not familiar with.

Edited by debodun, 19 December 2014 - 03:01 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

I would not use anything FileHippo related at all now as they of late foist a download manager much akin to the dross from Cnet. So a good chance you may infect a machine with unwanted third party adware type toolbars for example...

I did not know that, been a while since I used that software since I update everything manually, I will not be suggesting that anymore.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Now I have not been able to manually update MSE in 2 days by clicking on the UPDATE tab. Is this a problem with them or me?

Attached Thumbnails

• mse update.jpg

Edited by debodun, 19 December 2014 - 03:43 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. That is what I would do .:)

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

It worked today. Go figure. Thanks for the suggestions, though, If I encounter this problem again, I'll let you know.