Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netbook Very Slow Start Up and Any Program

slow stratup; Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

panther74

panther74

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I have a Acer Aspire Netbook. Not much RAM or speed but great to use while watching TV or on a trip. Recently (last 3 or 4 months) it has become extremely slow. It takes 3 or 4 minutes to even get to the Windows window, another 2 or 3 min to get to the login page.  After I enter password it takes another 4 - 5 minutes to get to my desktop.  Depending on what I try to open it takes 3 - 8 minutes to open. Sometimes it freezes up.

I have run Malwarebytes and COMODO scan.  No viruses are found. I have used Process Explorer to analyze the memory and CPU usage. Process Explorer shows at times 70%-(0% usage. One of the svhost processes seems to be taking up the majority of the memory, sometimes over 50%.

The Speccy scan results are at http://speccy.pirifo...pEvrBFQDXBwnvBq

Help!

Advertisements

panther74

panther74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Am I not doing something correctly? I have heard from no one.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi panther74 :)

Sorry that no one answered you earlier, if you allow me to, I'll try to assist you with your issue. I'll ask you to follow these simple instructions to begin with:
  • Download MiniToolBox from BleepingComputer.com (linking the website as it have a lot of useful tutorials, programs, etc. to see);
  • Execute it by double-clicking on it;
  • Check the "List Installed Programs" checkbox;
    dE2KOUZ.png
  • Click on the "Go" button;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open.
    wRKHMXW.png
  • Copy/paste (select the Notepad, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C to copy, and Ctrl + V to paste) the content of the output log on PasteBin and post the link in this thread;
In your next reply, there should be a Pastebin link to your MiniToolBox report.

panther74

panther74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thank you for responding. The Minitoolbox report is at: http://pastebin.com/NVC7GPxz

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright let's take a look at it :)
  • Uninstall Acrobat.com - Not needed;
  • Uninstall Adobe AIR - Current version outdated;
  • Uninstall eBay Worldwide - Not needed;
  • Uninstall Game Channels - Check every single games, then click on the Uninstall button;
  • Uninstall Google Gmail Notifier - If you don't use it;
  • Uninstall Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer - Not needed, you can set Google as your default search engine on Internet Explorer;
  • Uninstall Java 7 Update 71 - Outdated;
  • Uninstall MyWinLocker;
  • Uninstall SlimCleaner;
A few programs needs to be updated, I'll link you the correct download links and intructions once you're done with these uninstalls :) If you're okay with that, I can also list you Acer bloatware (OEM programs pre-installed on your computer that aren't needed) to uninstall.

panther74

panther74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Alright let's take a look at it :)

• Uninstall Acrobat.com - Not needed;
  • Uninstall Adobe AIR - Current version outdated;
  • Uninstall eBay Worldwide - Not needed;
  • Uninstall Game Channels - Check every single games, then click on the Uninstall button;
  • Uninstall Google Gmail Notifier - If you don't use it;
  • Uninstall Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer - Not needed, you can set Google as your default search engine on Internet Explorer;
  • Uninstall Java 7 Update 71 - Outdated;
  • Uninstall MyWinLocker;
  • Uninstall SlimCleaner;
A few programs needs to be updated, I'll link you the correct download links and intructions once you're done with these uninstalls :) If you're okay with that, I can also list you Acer bloatware (OEM programs pre-installed on your computer that aren't needed) to uninstall.

OK. I have removed all of the programs you requested. I am open to removing other programs if it will help.

I checked for a reply to my message (#4) a number of times yesterday and this morning. I did not see your reply (sent yesterday at 11:04), until I checked tonight on another computer. Do you have any idea why?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Your browser cache most likely needs to be flushed. You can do it manually via the cache, or by using a temporary files and folders cleaning program like CCleaner, or tool like TFC (Temp File Cleaner).

Alright, now open an elevated command prompt : click on the Windows Start Menu and enter cmd in the Search box. From there, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator. Enter the following command : sfc /scannow Once the scan is complete, at 100%, let me know what message is returned.

panther74

panther74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Your browser cache most likely needs to be flushed. You can do it manually via the cache, or by using a temporary files and folders cleaning program like CCleaner, or tool like TFC (Temp File Cleaner).

Alright, now open an elevated command prompt : click on the Windows Start Menu and enter cmd in the Search box. From there, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator. Enter the following command : sfc /scannow Once the scan is complete, at 100%, let me know what message is returned.

I ran CCleaner to empty cache.

I then ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt.  I got the message:

Verification 83% complete

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I am trying again. I had run sfc /scannow a few days ago and did not have a problem.  Would it help if I sent you the results of the previous one?

panther74

panther74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I ran CCleaner to empty cache.

I then ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt.  I got the message:

Verification 83% complete

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I am trying again. I had run sfc /scannow a few days ago and did not have a problem.  Would it help if I sent you the results of the previous one?

I ran again and this time 100% complete. The message returned was :"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, restart your computer to apply the repairs made by the SFC scan to your system please. After that, open CCleaner and click on the Tools tab. Go to the Startup menu and click on Save to text file.... Save the file somewhere (like on your Desktop), then open it and copy and paste the content of it in your next reply please.

Advertisements

panther74

panther74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Copy of Startup pasted below:

No HKCU:Run Advanced SystemCare 7 "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 7\ASCTray.exe" /Auto
No HKCU:Run swg c:\program files\google\googletoolbarnotifier\googletoolbarnotifier.exe
Yes HKCU:RunOnce Adobe Speed Launcher 1419331684
No HKLM:Run Acer ePower Management c:\program files\acer\acer epower management\epowertray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run COMODO Internet Security C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cistray.exe
No HKLM:Run EgisTecPMMUpdate c:\program files\egistec ips\pmmupdate.exe
No HKLM:Run EgisUpdate "c:\program files\egistec ips\egisupdate.exe" -d
No HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
No HKLM:Run IAStorIcon c:\program files\intel\intel® rapid storage technology\iastoricon.exe
No HKLM:Run IgfxTray c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
No HKLM:Run IntelliPoint c:\program files\microsoft device center\ipoint.exe
No HKLM:Run IntelliType Pro c:\program files\microsoft device center\itype.exe
No HKLM:Run IObit Malware Fighter "C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter\IMF.exe" /autostart
No HKLM:Run LManager c:\program files\launch manager\lmanager.exe
No HKLM:Run MSC "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
No HKLM:Run mwlDaemon c:\program files\egistec mywinlocker\x86\mwldaemon.exe
No HKLM:Run Persistence c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
No HKLM:Run PLFSetI c:\windows\plfseti.exe
No HKLM:Run RtHDVCpl "c:\program files\realtek\audio\hda\rthdvcpl.exe" -s
No HKLM:Run SuiteTray c:\program files\egistec mywinlockersuite\x86\suitetray.exe
No HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe
No HKLM:Run {0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2} c:\program files\google\gmail notifier\gnotify.exe

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You can disable the RunOnce Adobe Speed Launcher and Run Adobe ARM entries. After that, can you restart your computer and let me know if you still have a slow start-up?

panther74

panther74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

You can disable the RunOnce Adobe Speed Launcher and Run Adobe ARM entries. After that, can you restart your computer and let me know if you still have a slow start-up?

I disabled both of the above and rebooted. It took about the same length of time to get me to this webpage (about 18 minutes). When it rebooted I got a message that said something like "failed to connect to a Windows service".

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
If it's possible, can you restart, see if the message is being displayed then copy and paste the full message here?

panther74

panther74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

If it's possible, can you restart, see if the message is being displayed then copy and paste the full message here?

It did not come back up.