Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK won't complete (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
For the past 24 hours whenever I try to do a CHKDSK on my toshiba laptop it gets to 11% on stage 4 and just stays there. I have over 270000 files and when it reaches the 50000 point it just sits there for hours on end until I restart my computer to restart the CHKDSK to see if it will get last that point. I have done this 6 times in the past 24 hours. Please help

I have a toshiba satellite a665-s5170 and it is about 2 years old

Advertisements

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Is there anything I can do without spending money I don't have on a new hard drive?

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

First thing I'd do is leave it longer. I've had them take 48 hours or even longer

XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Is the computer booting to chkdsk, or are you booting to Windows and then running it?

If chkdsk isn't finishing in the later stages, this generally points to an issue with bad sectors on the drive.

Conclusively, stage 4, where yours is sticking, is the part that checks for bad sectors.

Like azarl said, let it sit overnight and see if it gets past where you normally get stuck. If not, I'd backup your information if you haven't already, as your drive may be on its way out.

Additionally, stopping chkdsk during stage 4, or with the /F or /R option is not recommended as it can further damage whatever sector it's working with.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I've been booting it to windows and then initiating the chkdsk. The main reason why I am doing it is because my computer has been acting all sluggish and not wanting to load programs fast or at all. I tried to defrag my computer but it doesn't want to work and I tried disk cleaner and it doesn't work either.

I left the chkdsk on the same area overnight 2 days ago and it didn't budge from the same percentage.

This is what it says when I get to that point:
USN Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
11 percent complete. (50528 of 273392 files processed)

What if it doesn't get past that point? What do I do then?

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Sorry about the slow replies. I am resorting to using my iPhone to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When you have run chkdsk for 24 hours, without interrupting it, post back, but still leave it running.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
It finally moved from 50528 but now it is I think stuck at 90452 so it must have moved at some point last night while I was asleep.

Normally CHKDSK don't take long with my computer so I have no idea why it is taking this long. Normally it takes less than 30 minutes to complete

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Looks like it managed some repairs and moved on.   It can go ver and over the same sectors again and again.

30 minutes, not much to repair, this time, bad problem sectors.

Leave it running, report again in 12 hours. 

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
It has moved up to 110242 now. It seems like it is taking forever to complete. Is it normal for a CHKDSK to take this long?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

It has moved up to 110242 now. It seems like it is taking forever to complete. Is it normal for a CHKDSK to take this long?

Depending of your hard drive specifications, current occupied space and also if it's really damaged (via bad sectors) or not, a check disk can be a very lenghty operation, yes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Can you tell us what variables you ran with chkdsk please? Did you use either the /f or /r variables when you started it? the /r will take much longer as it looks like that is what you are running because it checks the complete platter for any damage and attempts to repair them. This part will take much longer to finish. I have to agree and let it run till completed regardless of the time it takes.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I just went to computer, right clicked on my c drive, hit properties, then went to tools and clicked on the button to do a CHKDSK. I clicked on both options and then restarted my computer. I got that from my computer's help center on how to do a CHKDSK

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I just went to computer, right clicked on my c drive, hit properties, then went to tools and clicked on the button to do a CHKDSK. I clicked on both options and then restarted my computer. I got that from my computer's help center on how to do a CHKDSK

This option indeed triggered a chkdsk /r scan, therefore it will try to recover data from bad sectors it encounter, and move it to another place on the disk, which makes the operation longer.
460QNko.png

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ah ok. So I guess that's why it is taking 48ish hours rather than less than an hour