Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK won't complete (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

What hard disk problem did windows detect?

Lets have a look at your discs.

Go, start, > click Run, in the open box copy and paste, diskmgmt.msc

When the window opens, drag the left side and the bottom so all information can be seen.

Please upload a screenshot

Advertisements

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

sorry about the late reply. was at work for 7 hours and then i spent my evening with my family.

the message stated it was my c drive that was having the issue. i will post a screencap of the message again if it comes up again

EDIT: here is the link to the screenshot of the error message: http://i57.tinypic.com/az75vd.png

here is the screenshot: 

1175yfm.png

Edited by Dbz2004, 25 December 2014 - 10:12 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Disk management window looks quite normal.

For the moment, try not to use the computer.

Do you have an icon in the task try with a red x on it. if yes, right click it, does it give a list of errors and how to fix them?   (don't follow links or try to fix)  Post back.

If there is no icon present, backup any important Data as soon as possible, then post.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
There was one that looked like a computer monitor with an x on it when I logged onto my computer after it got out of sleep mode but it just went away. There are no other icons on my task bar/tray that have red x marks

I already backed up most of my documents into my portable hard drive

Does this mean I need a new hard drive?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It does look like the dirve is unrelable and it would be wise to buy a new drive.   Create a manual System Restore.   Click the link rshaffer61 provided.   When the window opens, click on the blue Update Driver, then follow the instructions. 

The error it shows 0x0000007E is directly related to the iaSTor.sys which is the Intel Storage driver which can be updated at the Intel site.

http://downloadcente...om/Default.aspx

Make sure you get the one for your OS.

When finished and the computer restarts, do you still get the error popup??? 

Changing the drive is fairly easy > 

we just need to find the simplest method for you to clone the existing drive to the new one. 

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have recovery discs. Would it just be easier if I got a new hard drive and then programmed it with the recovery discs?

Edit: I also don't have the funds right now for a new hard drive. I won't have any until sometime next week

Edited by Dbz2004, 26 December 2014 - 05:50 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I have recovery discs. Would it just be easier if I got a new hard drive and then programmed it with the recovery discs?

Yes, that is the simplest method, providing you have five discs?

I also don't have the funds right now for a new hard drive. I won't have any until sometime next week 

Understood, this time of year can do that to all of us.

I will source a drive for you on the web so you can order later. 

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I got the computer pre set up with a recovery discs and it only came with four

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Just researching how many discs, some need four, some need five.   As yours were created for your laptop, four should be OK.

In case of problems, on this guide, you can create recovery media on a USB stick, > http://visihow.com/R..._Toshiba_Laptop

Can you look at your systme specs to find the model of your hard drive. 

This link is for later, after you have finished the install, to see if you need any updates. > http://support.toshiba.com/

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I think I found a good one for a good price at my local best buy that is 1TB and under $100. The brand is WD. Is this a good brand? Only other one I found was seagate but they only had a 500GB and either a 2 or 3 TB size ones that were over $100 and $100 is my budget. My current hard drive size is 600 GB

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Your existing hd is a WD so that should not be a problem. As far as if it is a good brand I am a big user of WD drives and like them a lot. Preferences are different for everyone and it really depends on their personal history with HD's. I have a 500 GB and 2 one TB drives in my system now and all are WD drives. I am getting ready to replace one of the larger drives with a 4tb WD drive and use the 1tb drive to replace my 500gb OS drive. That way I can quad boot my system with XP, Win7, Win8.1 and Win10.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Alright. Hopefully I can resolve this issue soon. My laptop is slowly dying on me.

You can go ahead and put this thread as resolved. Thank you everyone for your help

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The topic won't be closed in case you need further help and when you come back with  :thumbsup:  :yeah: we will mark it Resolved.

You are welcome.

Good luck. 

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Sorry about the late reply. Was busy with work. Don't need any more help with this topic but I am going to make a new topic since a new problem has risen up. Can't access smilies on my phone. Will do the smiley thing when I am on my laptop

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Not a problem. thanks for the update.

Sorry won't be helping you with any smiley thing, only know how to make or receive calls.