Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-rom drive suddenly stops working

• Please log in to reply

Iceendz

Iceendz

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a mitsumi FX810T4!B. Its on my old pc with win98 installed. Everytime I put any cd into drive the light that normally flashes showing its reading the cd doesnt come on and if i go to my computer and double click the cd-rom drive icon it says E:\ is not accesible , this device isnt ready then it allows me to click retry or cancel. Just the other day i was using the drive and it worked just fine. Now it seems as if its not even trying to read the cd. I tryed uninstalling the drive and rebooting but it doesnt help.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you checked the cable connections on the back on the drive? ie ribbon cable & power. (check the ribbon cable connection at both the drive end & the motherboard end)

Iceendz

Iceendz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I checked the power and ribbon cables at both ends they both seem to be firmly plugged in.

Edited by Iceendz, 12 June 2005 - 01:32 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds like a faulty drive or cable. If you can though, before chucking it, try testing it on another PC. This should confirm whether it is a hardware fault or something else altogether.

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Now it seems as if its not even trying to read the cd. I tryed uninstalling the drive and rebooting but it doesnt help.

View Post

I've had the same trouble with my CD burner on the F drive, but the CD/DVD player on the E drive is fine.

Could you outline how to uninstall the drive properly please, in case this works for me, and since I'm not sure how to do it?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Caine
It's unlikely uninstalling the drive will help, but it's worth a go I guess.
What you need to do is :
Reboot your system in safe mode (press F8 repeatedly after the POST test & just as windows is about to start loading, then select safe mode option from boot menu)
When windows is loaded, go to device manager & delete all entries for that drive. There may be some duplicate entries or ones that no longer exist phyiscally, in which case delete them also. (Safe mode can display items in DM that you don't normally see).
Reboot the system normally & let windows redetect the drive. If it doesn't, try the add new hardware wizard & autodetect option.

If this doesn't help, can you start a new thread so we don't get confused with your problem and Iceendz problem.

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Cool, thanks Samm! Will do. :tazz:

[edit: I started the new thread here: http://www.geekstogo...=02&f=9&t=35708 ]

Edited by Caine, 15 June 2005 - 12:34 AM.

Iceendz

Iceendz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'll try using a different cable I have a few extras and if that dont work ill try it on my other pc. But this pc seems to give me problems with any cd-rom drive I put into it. Sorry I took awhile to get to this I have been busy with other stuff this week.