Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid destination pop-ups and other issues

• Please log in to reply

sheyennelilly

sheyennelilly

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

On the advice Biscuithd, I am coming to this forum to ask for help.  A couple of people have helped me, but my problems are not being solved.  I was initially having a very slow-running computer with script error pop-ups, Adobe Flash crashes, constant Java update pop-ups, and invalid destination pop-ups.  I got help in the malware forum from Biscuithd and my computer is no longer running slowly, and the Java pop-ups and script error pop-ups are gone (but I've uninstalled Java and Flash and hope to be able to get those back).  I'm still getting invalid destination pop-ups regularly, and am hoping someone else can help me figure out how to fix whatever needs fixing. 

I do not have the disk that should have originally come with my computer to reset everything to factory condition, so I'm not sure if anyone can help me or not, but I thought I'd ask.

My previous thread:  http://www.geekstogo...n-when-updated/

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

After a read of your topic. I would suggest that you create a new admin account, see how things go.

Or get your copy of windows 7 here. 

http://www.geekstogo...rosoft-partner/

Then perform the repair install as suggested.

https://www.winhelp....-windows-7.html

Or find your key with The Magical Jelly Bean

https://www.magicalj....com/keyfinder/

Then do a clean install.

http://pcsupport.abo...tall-part-1.htm

Edited by rockmilk, 19 December 2014 - 03:01 PM.

sheyennelilly

sheyennelilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

I'm not sure how to create a new admin account.  Can you help me with that?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

To create a new admin account.

Hit the start button

Type USER in the start search box

Hit enter

Select manage another account.

CrdgfgV.png

Then Select Create new account.

auguIqG.png

Then Name it what you wish, make it an Admin Account. Then click Create Account.

KbYaTCl.png

Now log out of your account and log into the new one, or simply reboot and log onto the new account, then see if the issue persist.

Edited by rockmilk, 20 December 2014 - 01:09 AM.

sheyennelilly

sheyennelilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Okay, I did that.  Thank you for the directions.  Do you know if there is a way to make it so I can see all of my old files on the other account while in the new admin account?  It shows all my documents and everything as empty. 

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

This explains it nicely.

http://windows.micro...e#1TC=windows-7

sheyennelilly

sheyennelilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Okay, I got as far as trying to copy the files into the new user, and it says I don't have enough space on my OS.  However, this may be wasted time because my new admin account is still getting the invalid destination pop-ups.  So I guess that didn't solve the problem?

Also, when I try to shut down, I occassionally get told the computer won't shut down because it's waiting for explorer.exe to stop or quit or something.  This just happened again twice when I rebooted a couple of times after trying to share who could see my documents. 

I think I'm going to assume the admin change didn't work and not bother trying to transfer everything over when I don't have enough space, and just move on to the second thing you suggested which is to get Windows 7 and perform a repair install.  Hopefully I can figure that out on my own, but if not, I'll be asking again here.  Thank you for your help so far.  It is appreciated.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See here: How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Thanks Ztrucker, I did provide a link with instructions for repair install, in my second post.

@sheyennelilly  Can you remember when the last time you dusted the machine was? Can you see any visual dust? Also I am sorry is this a laptop or desktop?

sheyennelilly

sheyennelilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

I don't remember when it was that I last dusted, but it's been within the past year.  I don't have any visual dust.  I did go in and even removed the side panel and spray things out inside after watching instructions online previously when the fan was running too much.  I don't believe it would be a dust-related problem.  Also, it's a desktop.  It's an hp P6719c. Don't know if that matters or not.

My husband just ran out to buy a larger hard drive to back everything up before I start messing with anything else.  When he gets back I'll be following the instructions you posted at the beginning.  (And thanks to you Ztrucker for the link.  He did post it up top, but it sounded like I meant completely by myself, and I appreciate the help.)

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Ok, let us know how you do. :)

sheyennelilly

sheyennelilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Okay, I have not been able to get back to this for a while now.  My husband bought a new hard drive and backed everything up.  I think I burned the Windows 7 onto my disc, but how can I be sure that's what's on there?  I took a print screen of the contents of the disc, but I'm not sure how to insert it here. 

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Put the disc in your machine and attempt to play it.

sheyennelilly

sheyennelilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Yeah, I thought maybe I'd screw things up that way, but after reading through the directions for the update it showed what I saw on the disc.  Sorry for the dumb questions.  Now I'm just trying to figure out how to update drivers for a couple of things it said might be affected.  I found my device manager and am wading through trying to find those specific items.  Bear with me.  I'm a computer dummy...

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

I would not worry about updating drivers, that is not needed for a repair install. :)