Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SearchAssist.net [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

When I ran %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe, a list of my Windows Updates, SP2, hotfixes, Microsoft .NET Framework and Security Updates will be deleted.  Are these the files you want to delete?  I don't know how to get them back because XP is no longer supported.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I created a system restore point in case I misunderstood the instructions you gave me and then I ran Fix IE Utility.exe.  It got to a point where it's looking for file 'vgx.dll.000, the same problem I had in the very beginning of this thread.  I did a search for the file with 'Show hidden files and folders' and 'Hide protected operating system files' unchecked in Tools > Folder Options and there is no vgx.dll.000 in my pc.  I don't have a Windows NT Service Pack Uninstall Directory folder.  Since I couldn't proceed, I had to cancel the utility.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

When I built this pc, I gave my CD/DVD drive the letter B.  I usually have MyComputer list my drives.  I decided to check the CD/DVD drive to see if a new port and data cable might be needed but I switched ports and used a different data cable, rebooted, and the CD/DVD drive still wasn't listed.  By accident, I checked the box to display MyComputer in Tiles and it shows that Administrator's Documents are listed as "Drive B."

In Disk Management, it's not listed as B, there's no B at all.

Could this be the reason that my CD/DVD drive isn't showing up in MyComputer?  Because the letter that is allocated to it has been re-allocated to Administrator's Documents?  If it is, do you know how I can fix it since it doesn't show up as Drive B in Disk Management?

Attached Thumbnails

• mypc.jpg

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Just a thought . . .  I have a Floppy hdd.  Can I do something with that to fix the problem?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Just a thought . . . I have a Floppy hdd. Can I do something with that to fix the problem?

Of no use to us I'm afraid.

Could this be the reason that my CD/DVD drive isn't showing up in MyComputer? Because the letter that is allocated to it has been re-allocated to Administrator's Documents? If it is, do you know how I can fix it since it doesn't show up as Drive B in Disk Management?

You could try disconnecting all relevant drives bar the main system one and then reconnect just the optical drive and see if it is recognised/working etc. Apart from that not a lot else I can advise as primarily I only provide Anti-Malware support. You could however seek further assistance with this from the IT Tech Staff in this part of the forum:-

Hardware, Components and Peripherals

When I ran %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe, a list of my Windows Updates, SP2, hotfixes, Microsoft .NET Framework and Security Updates will be deleted. Are these the files you want to delete? I don't know how to get them back because XP is no longer supported.

It should not delete anything merely denote such and such may not work correctly. It did not remove anything bar Ie8 when I checked this out prior on my XP SP3 Virtual Machine. Then afterwards you can download the installer for Internet Explorer 8 from here. The installer will reinstall the browser and the relevant updates also as checked this out for you.

Now your choice to proceed with the above or not and as it stands not a lot else can be done as the overall Operating System is in such a damaged state.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.