Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

several BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

jonsnowed

jonsnowed

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello,

This is the second time I'm starting a new topic because halfway through the first time I got... you guessed it... a BSOD (that will be the first one in the 'minidumps.txt' attachment, at 21/12/2014 1:23:47 PM, I'm on AEST).

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what is going wrong here and why. I'm new to these forums so I'll try to be as descriptive as possible. 

I recently came back from a 2 week holiday. Before this everything was fine. I had only ever gotten one other BSOD, the first one ever, in November.

Since coming back, besides catching up on Windows updates (and Nvidia drivers), I haven't installed any new software. I updated NetLimiter 4AVAST (I use the free version), Razer Synapse and drivers for my Razer peripherals (keyboard + mouse). I also installed BlueScreenView today to retrieve those dumps. And that's it. 

These are my system specs:

Windows 8.1.
Intel Core i5-4670k 3.40Ghz.
8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM.
MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr IV Gaming OC Edition.
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MoBo.​

As far as I know, I think my drivers are all up to date.

So here's the sequence of events as they happened:
Sunday (14th) was the first time I earnestly used my desktop since coming back (for something other than a quick iPod sync on iTunes for a few minutes). That's when I caught up on all my updates mentioned above. 

Thursday (18th) I used it again and this is when the problems started but I'm not sure why. I didn't do anything that I don't usually do. Plugged in my XBOX 360 controller, played some Shadow of Mordor, surfed the internet, downloaded some movies and TV shows. Literally nothing out of the ordinary. I left my room for an hour or so, came back to find my computer restarted, found that strange and even more so when I logged in and had a BSOD straight away. Restarted again, decided to shut it down for the night. 
Today (21st) I'm at my computer again. Had iTunes open, some downloads running, some web pages open (again, nothing out of the ordinary), walking around cleaning my room when suddenly... that horrible BSOD sound. 

At this time, I thought that meant two BSOD's in just a few days so I decided to investigate and got BlueScreenView. 

This is how I discovered that Thursday was indeed a strange day for my desktop since I actually had, not just the one I witnessed, but 5 BSOD's within minutes of each other whilst I was away from my room (I did leave my speakers off and this is why I didn't notice). After the first, the other BSOD's obviously happened while the desktop was just sitting there on the log-in/welcome screen and then the last one after I logged in. 

I can't make sense of the dump files and googling hasn't really helped in finding someone with an issue similar enough to help me. So I decided to ask here in the hopes someone can figure out what's going wrong (and, as mentioned above, got another BSOD in the mean time).

Thanks for reading :)

Attached Files

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi jonsnowed, welcome to GeeksToGo :)

May I ask you to archive the content of C:\windows\minidump\ and attach it your next post? It'll make it easier for us to analyze the crash drumps this way to see what is causing your BSODs.

jonsnowed

jonsnowed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi jonsnowed, welcome to GeeksToGo :)

May I ask you to archive the content of C:\windows\minidump\ and attach it your next post? It'll make it easier for us to analyze the crash drumps this way to see what is causing your BSODs.

Hi Aura, I attached the saves from BlueScreenView in the minidumps.txt, but I'll put the dmp's in a zip too here.

Attached Files

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Thank you :)

It looks like the BSODs are caused by your Atheros drivers, most likely a Network or Ethernet Controller. As it's a "network"-related drivers, I suspect that the recent update from "NetLimiter" (which interacts directly with your network adapters) could be the cause of this issue. However, it would be good to update your network drivers (Ethernet and Network Controllers) before doing anything else.

Please download and install the following drivers:

http://download.msi....ler_network.zip

If it asks for a restart after completion, do so. May I ask you to go in your Device Manager (right-click on the Windows logo and select System, then click on Device Manager in the left pane) and expand the Network Adapters column. If you know how, can you screenshot what is being displayed under? Otherwise, you can list me the name of the devices that are being shown.

jonsnowed

jonsnowed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

May I ask you to go in your Device Manager (right-click on the Windows logo and select System, then click on Device Manager in the left pane) and expand the Network Adapters column. If you know how, can you screenshot what is being displayed under? Otherwise, you can list me the name of the devices that are being shown.

Here you go :)

Capture.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Are you currently using the WiFi on that computer, or are you on a wired connection (with an Ethernet cable)?
Also, can you expand Other devices, then take a new screenshot of what's under it and post it as well?

jonsnowed

jonsnowed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

ok, colour me extremely confused. 

it was only after I had installed those drivers you linked and was waiting for the computer to restart that it struck me as odd that you said the error was an Atheros issue and that device manager was showing a Qualcom Atheros Wireless adapter.... I don't have an Atheros adapter. I have a TP-LINK adapter.

After I installed your drivers I lost the ability to connect to WiFi. So I uninstalled them and rummaged to find my TP-LINK adapter box. I installed the driver and utility in the supplied disk. WiFi is back.
So to answer your question, I connect via WiFi. 

Device manager is now showing the TP LINK adapter. Qualcomm Atheros no where in sight. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
That could be the source of your issue, there's big chances at least. We should see how it goes in the next days to see if you get BSODs. However, the Killer drivers should had been successfully installed for the Ethernet Controller that you see there. If you uninstalled them, you should install them again, since the right drivers for your TP-Link adapter are now installed, it shouldn't pause any problem. If the issue was to come back, you could right-click in the Killer Ethernet Controller and select Disable.

jonsnowed

jonsnowed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

ok so I installed the Killer drivers again. Again, it killed my WiFi (see screenshot appropriately named "whyyyyy.jpg", give or take a few y's).
I decided to use the TP-LINK disk again and used the "Repair" installation option. WiFi restored. No yellow triangle warning sign thingos (see "yay.jpg").
So happy ending?

Will need to see if I get any more BSOD's with normal use now...

But hopefully this was the issue, so thank you in advance :)

Attached Thumbnails

• whyyyyyyyy.JPG
  • yay.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Everything looks fine to me now! We'll keep this thread open for a few days and see if you report back with BSOD(s). :)

jonsnowed

jonsnowed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

:( :( 

I was so hopeful we had fixed it. But got a BSOD tonight.

Again, left the computer on and went downstairs. Steam was downloading a new game I'd bought, had some TV shows downloading too. NetLimiter was left on because my parents were making Skype calls on their phone and I wanted to make sure Steam didn't hog the network and affect them. Came back to a restarted computer. Checked BlueScreenView and found the new report. Happened within 15 minutes of me leaving the room. 

I've attached the .dmp file.

what could it be now?!?!?!

Attached Files

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
For troubleshooting purposes, is it possible for you to uninstall NetLimiter and see if the issue comeback? I wouldn't be surprised if it was causing the issue on your system since these kind of programs can be tricky to use.

jonsnowed

jonsnowed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Sorry for the radio silence. I went away on holidays for xmas / new years.

Back now. Have done some testing this past 4 days. I think I narrowed down the issue - using NetLimiter to limit bandwidth for uTorrent (instead of uTorrent's built in features). I can purposefully cause a BSOD by starting up uTorrent and limiting the bandwidth with NetLimiter. I just have to sit back and watch for 5'ish minutes before the computer crashes. anything else is fine - Skype, Google Drive & Chrome (the other 3 apps I use NetLimiter on) cause no issues. But if I turn on uTorrent and put a limit on it using NetLimiter, within 10 minutes I get BSOD. Thinking back, uTorrent being on with NetLimiter at the same time are the common denominators in every BSOD I was having.

I've started using the uTorrent bandwidth features exclusively and also disabled NetLimiter and uTorrent from starting up soon as the desktop turns on. Haven't had a single BSOD (except the on-purpose ones) for the past 4 days with normal use. 

Perhaps we can lay this issue to rest? I don't know if I should run some hardware diagnostics still, just in case...? What do you think?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
According to Geeks to Go Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers, point q:

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

Therefore, because the issue is caused by a P2P software (uTorrent), I cannot assist you in solving that problem, except if you uninstall uTorrent and stay like that. So I guess you either keep uTorrent installed and we cannot assist you here with this issue, or you remove it and the issue gets solved without any further assistance from me (as uTorrent is the issue here).