Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Novice--I want to learn all I can

• Please log in to reply

helpmenowsmartpeople

helpmenowsmartpeople

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

I just graduated with a master's in Education, and I kind of wanted to teach myself Information Technology, one, to develop digital teaching tools that are better than the ones I currently have access to, two, to make myself more marketable with a diversified skill set, and finally to stay abreast of current trends in technology. I love tinkering with technology.

I want to get started learning how to program my new educational software right away, but I don't really know where I should start looking. I was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction.

Advertisements

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
Hi helpmenowsmartpeople,

Those are commendable goals, but know that the process of learning how to develop applications regardless of platform could take quite a while. This is not to discourage you, but to inform you of what you are to expect in this journey, which does not have a definite end.

I want to get started learning how to program my new educational software right away,

To introduce you to programming, know that the way to start is to learn how to program per se using a language of your choice. There are unending debates regarding which language one should learn first and there is a point to them. However, know that programming is language agnostic--there is no universally "right" or "best" language to learn for beginners. Any language can teach you how to program, and this is what initially matters. As a concrete example, the below will show you how to print an output in several languages:

Java:
System.out.print("Hi!");
C#:
Console.Out.Write("Hi!");
Ruby:
puts "Hi!"
Python:
print ("Hi!")
Although different manners of execution and syntaxes exist as seen above, fundamental concepts remain the same throughout all languages (for this example, it is the existence of a print function). As a broad analogy, think of programming as driving--knowing how to drive will enable you to run any vehicle. Similarly, knowing how to program will allow you to learn any language (in theory).

Does this mean this enterprise is directionless, then? Of course not. There is where your goals play a defining role to shape and contextualize your learning landscape. Hit two birds with one stone e.g. if your aim is to develop web pages and web applications, then learn how to program by beginning with a web programming language.

Given that, start by knowing what kind of applications you want to develop. These are the most common types:Below are information graphics regarding various kinds of developers and the most popular languages for their fields:As for learning platforms, consider the following:Best of luck! :)