Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Overheating :S

• Please log in to reply

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, you must replace that fan, with a blade broken it is now running out of balance which will also mean less air being moved. The vibration may cause damage by loosening things, connections, screws holding things in place etc.

If you are looking at replacing the entire cooling system as per post #13, then go ahead with that, though also bear in mind your friend might have a point that the CPU may now be faulty hence why it heats up too much.

Nev.

Advertisements

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So, how do I know if my cpu is burned up? My pc doesnt go past black screen

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I was doing work at home all day yesterday.

The only sure way is to replace the CPU, or replace everything else till the CPU is the last thing to try.

However, before doing any of that, check that the vibration from the damaged fan hasn't loosed any cable connections to the motherboard, make sure they are fully pushed on, also check the CPU heatsink and fan for any looseness, and all fixing screws for the motherboard are tight. With the fan running badly out of balance it may well have shifted the CPU and many other things.

You could even find that pins have broken on the actual CPU when you do finally remove it.

After all, till the fan was broken, although running hot, it was still working.

Nev.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello, my new CPU is on it's way. Just 1 question. How should I place my PC case sides? http://imgur.com/a/HMYFd here are the pictures. 

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I can only say to put the side panel back the same way it was before you took it off. Looking at the pictures, I assume it must be with the name the right way up!

Nev.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Just installed the CPU and Fan. Works like a charm, no sound, 35~ temp

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Thanks for the update and hope all stays well for you.

If no further problems, perhaps a moderator can label this one solved in a day or so.

Nev.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok. I have a problem. Yesterday when I went to sleep my pc worked just fine. But today it wont boot.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Monitor gets no signal from PC... WTFFFFDD?

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Full story: Hello, i have a problem with my pc. i've recently replaced my cpu. But today it isnt working anymore. Yesterday everything was fine. Cpu temps were about 27c. Before I went to sleep I put my PC to sleep. Today when I woke up and turned it on it had black screen. I opened the case to see if any red led is on. The CPU one was blinking. So I removed heatsink, then cleanes thermal paste, removed and put back the cpu in to socket. Still red led. What to do now? Go to warranty service?

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi again, sorry to hear it didn't last long.

I would say yes to returning the CPU, however I have a worry that possibly there may be a fault in the power supply that could have caused the CPU to fail, both last time and maybe this time. When sending it back ask if it is possible for them to check and let you know what is wrong with it.

If you have or can borrow an electrical multimeter you can test the power supply to check if all the output voltages are correct while you wait for a replacement CPU and any results from the supplier.

This is a bit long winded, however does set out in full detail what you need and what voltages should be present on all the different connectors.

http://www.wikihow.c...-a-Power-Supply

Please let us know what you find if you do check the supply yourself. The alternative if no meter available is to take the power supply to a repair shop, they may even test it for free. (Some do in the hope they can sell you a new one)

Nev.