Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Overheating :S

• Please log in to reply

kietav

kietav

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello, I have a problem with my computer.  It has been at limit heat since I bought it. It sometimes just starts to buzz when it's just on with no stuff opened.. When I'm playing a game, like Far Cry 4 and CS:GO it's temperature is around 60-65. Today my computer turned off by it self first time. And 2 times. 

And It turned of after I played CS:GO That's not a lot requiring game... I'm not playing Far Cry on max graphics.

My pc specs:

Mother: sabertooth 990fx r2.0
CPU: AMD FX8350

GPU: Geforce 760

PSU: Cooler Master G550M

RAM: 8GB 1 Stick.

What should I do to fix the overheating and heating? I HAVE NEVER OVERCLOCKED NEITHER MY CPU OR MOTHER. I'm going to clean in tomorrow. Any other advice?

Advertisements

b00giep0p

b00giep0p

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
If you're building your own box you probably already know most of the basic stuff about cooling, air flow, etc.  Here's what came to my mind:
  • What are you using for thermal grease for the CPU fan? If you're using the regular white thermal goop you might want to clean it off with rubbing alcohol and try a silver-based compound like Arctic Silver. I've seen that make a HUGE difference.
  • How many case fans (besides the one in the PSU) are you using? If the answer is zero, you might try adding one.
  • A word about airflow: Try to have the air in your PC moving from front-low (where the air is cooler) to back-high (near the PSU).
  • Sounds like you've recently built this system, so you probably don't have a lot of dust in it yet but you might want to be prepared to blow any dust out just in case I'm wrong. (I've also seen the tar/etc. from smoking seriously gum up a computer. Smoking + computer = bad)
Hope something in there was useful to you.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

1. I might change the grease. How much of it do I need? Artic Silver is not available in my country, and I really don't want to order from ebay. Which one of these would you suggest using?

http://www.skytech.l...=1&pagesize=100

Termolaidi - Thermo Conductive

Termo paste - Thermal Paste

2. 2.
3. It's already moving that way, I think.

4. This system is 4 months old. I just cleaned it.

Edited by kietav, 24 December 2014 - 08:11 AM.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

1 Question, in which country do you reside in?

b00giep0p

b00giep0p

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
You want compound that can pull as much heat as possible as fast as possible. I would guess the Arctic MX-4 would probably be your best bet if you can swing the cost. (Try to think of it as CPU insurance. :) )

One thing that's concerning me: the web page for MX-4 claims it keeps the temp around 73.2C, but your system is shutting down between 60-65C. I'm wondering what else might be going on (temperature sensor a bit off or a fault in the CPU, motherboard, or PSU).

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Edited by kietav, 26 December 2014 - 11:24 AM.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Edited by kietav, 26 December 2014 - 11:24 AM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi. Till b00giep0p gets back to you, do you have any case fans and are they running?

If no case fans to move air in and out of the case, that will be why everything is so warm or hot.

Nev.

b00giep0p

b00giep0p

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Hey kietav, 

Any changes since the 26th?

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello, my PC now overheats like once a day. I change the paste. The problem I'm having right now is INSANE amount of noise from my CPU cooler fan. Even the base of the fan vibrates.. I uploaded 2 videos. In first video, It how much sound it makes without matches (I added them for less sound). I would like to know if it's safe to add the matches, and what should i do to fix the problem.  

1st

2nd

Advertisements

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

@Plastic Nev. There are 2 case fans. 1 at top of the backside and one at the bottom of the front.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Got black screen now. http://www.geekstogo...t-black-screen/

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm thinking to get a new cpu cooler. http://www.skytech.l...=1&pagesize=250 any suggestions from here? I would preffer the cheaper one!

b00giep0p

b00giep0p

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

First, I assume you're still overheating.  Is that correct?

Second, any luck getting past the black screen?

As for the CPU fan, I'm wondering why it would make more noise now than before you replaced the thermal paste.  Are you sure it's securely re-installed?  As for a new CPU heatsink/fan, I don't really have any recommendations except to check available hardware reviews.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
My friend says that my cpu must have burned up. Cause he had same situation. Pc slowed down then crashed, and then the black screen. Any way I can check if thats the case without the motherboard speaker? About my cpu fan. My brother [bleep]ed it up. I leave lefy side of my case open, it doesnt overheat that much. My brother came in with a pencil and sticked it inside the cpu fan. He broke 1 wing i cut it off. I think i [bleep]ed up, by running my pc again. Oh well.