Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a maleware infected hd infect my ssd?

• Please log in to reply

Kaestiel

Kaestiel

• Pip
  • 1 posts

There could have been a better way to word that.

I'm putting an ssd in my computer tonight and I'm going to use that as my Main thing because it has a ton of memory on it. But instead of just throwing my hard drive out I thought to just keep it to store old things or movies. 

But the thing is I "think" it still has some type of maleware on it. I've never been able to find out what it is though and I'm actually done trying to fix it because I can't and no one can. My hard drive just won't unistall certain programs like maleware bytes or re-install it. Also trendmicro, it will give me prompts of it but it is not installed on it. So it's weird. 

So pretty much a dumb question because I'm still learning with each new part I put into my computer. But can my Hard drive affect anything on my ssd? I'm looking to keep my computer virus free. I have a habit of that maleware that highlights random things following me around. 

but also incase I don't want to use my hard drive anymore.... how do I go about destroying it?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   Kaestiel,

If you suspect that the HDD may have malware on it do not copy any data from it to any other storage device or you risk infecting those as well  :(

My hard drive just won't unistall certain programs like maleware bytes or re-install it. Also trendmicro, it will give me prompts of it but it is not installed on it. So it's weird. 

This can happen when programs have not been uninstalled correctly, most if not all AV programs have a set procedure/uninstaller tool that needs to be used to cleanly uninstall them, if you do not follow this set procedure you will often end up with orphan files being left behind that cause the sort of behaviour that you describe + they can cause conflicts with any other AV software that has been installed, this can result in the computer being left unprotected, example Trend Micro uninstall procedure/tool here 

Before you fit the SSD wipe the present HDD with one of the two options here (AutoNuke would be my suggestion).

JAFYI: HDDs and SSDs have storage space not memory, the most common form of memory that is used is RAM (random access memory) which unlike HDDs and SSDs it does not retain the information that it contains once the computer has been shut down.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Further to Phillpower's good advice, if you have the slightest doubt that there may indeed be malware on the drive , and also requiring extra help in cleaning up the system I do recommend you post in the malware section here

http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

Do read the main header and follow the advice and procedures when making your post and explain everything as you have done here, also give a link back to this thread.

Those guys in that section will sort things out for you if there is malware present.

Nev.