Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need a new PSU to run this GPU ? (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

greenscent

greenscent

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hello guys, this is my first post here, so my apologies if I break any rule.

I plan on upgrading my current GPU, and go for a MSI GTX 760 Gaming edition.

The problem is, I have a GE-P585A-C2 Power supply and I'm also very tight on budget.

here are the Specs: http://www.hostingpi...819DSC01687.jpg

Do I need a more powerful PSU for this card, or is mine enough ? thanks for answering.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

:welcome:   greenscent,

You will unfortunately need to also upgrade the PSU as the card requires a minimum of a 500W PSU, if you check the PSU database link in my sig you will find that your present PSU will only put out 460W.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks for the prompt answer, phillpower2 !

so the PSU needs to be changed as well, I'll need to rethink my budget.

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

You are most welcome greenscent, any other questions let us know  :thumbsup: 

FWIW, most if not all mid range video cards require a minimum of a 500W PSU.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i have heard of other people running a gtx760 on a 450watt psu so it may well work just fine but you'd be probably be pushing the limits and making the psu work harder than is probably good for it's long life.

the specs on that psu show it has a dual rails so you'd need to connect both rails to get the required power for the card, personally i'd be happier if it had a strong single rail for the power.

my advice would be to try it and see, any problems then you'd know where to look and have to upgrade the psu.

they are quite cheap now for a decent enough 500 watt psu. :- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817438016

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 25 December 2014 - 06:10 PM.

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hmm I've heard of that too, guess I'll try it with the current PSU. I plan on changing it in the next couple months so it could be alright ?

Would there be any risk for the GPU or any other component if I run it on a 460 W PSU ?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

after a second look and a quick google search i notice your psu is actually rated at 585 watts so should be fine, just make sure you connect both rails for the combined amps. 18+16=34amp.

Would there be any risk for the GPU or any other component if I run it on a 460 W PSU ?

can't say a definite no, but the risks would be very low in my opinion and you'd probably just experience boot failures or system crashes if the psu was over stretched.

never good tho to try and run a system when you know the psu can't cope but a few crashes while testing doesn't automatically mean any other hardware failures but the chance is always there if even very low in my experience, so if you do experience any problems you'd need to upgrade the psu as soon as possible while not using the pc for anything demanding like gaming that may cause a crash.

Edited by terry1966, 25 December 2014 - 07:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your GPU requires 168 Watts, 2x6 pin power connectors, 30 Amps on the 12 v rails.

Sourvce, > http://www.guru3d.co...g_review,5.htmlYour present PSU only has 1x6 pin connector.

You need a new PSU, A bronze rated reasonable quality one can be found for under #60, do you want some recommendations?

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

True it has only 1 6pin connector, but the gpu comes with a 6/8 pin to molex adaptor, so I thought this wasn't really an issue ?

As for recommendations, yes please, but nothing that's too expensive.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Your GPU requires 168 Watts, 2x6 pin power connectors, 30 Amps on the 12 v rails.

Sourvce, > http://www.guru3d.co...g_review,5.htmlYour present PSU only has 1x6 pin connector.

You need a new PSU, A bronze rated reasonable quality one can be found for under #60, do you want some recommendations?

curious iammykyl why you recommend a new psu when the one he has is capable of supplying the correct power requirements with just a simple cable (that is probably supplied with the graphics card anyway) like this :- http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000KU3QD8

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

As you observed, it only delivers  460w and possible a lot less if it has been in use for some time.   It's design is not good and is of poor quality.

There issue may not be a problem with a better quality PSU but am still not keen on using an adaptor because of Cross Loading. and the potential of damaging a GPU due to fluctuating  voltage.

http://www.playtool....ossloading.html

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

think your confusing something if you believe using a 12v 2 x molex connection to a 12v single 6 pin connection will cause cross loading.

biggest issue i see is if the psu can actually supply the required amps for the graphics card under load, and has you've pointed out the specs are 168watts or 14amps which both rails say they can provide, and a total system draw of 30amps on the 12v rails, which that psu can also supply at 34 amps.

yes he may need a better psu but just going by the specs i couldn't say for sure the one he has won't work with the new card for now, so i'd still advise him to try his first then get a new psu if it's not up to the job and shuts itself down because of over current draw.

yes i'd definitely suggest getting a better power supply for the long term but don't see the need to rush if he's tight on funds and his current psu will do for the interim.

think i read somewhere that psu only failed to get a 80% bronze rating because it was 0,03% under or something like that anyway so no idea if it's a poor quality or badly designed psu, can't find a proper review on it by jonnyguru or any good source like that.

Edited by terry1966, 26 December 2014 - 12:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

The underlying issues here are that the manufacturer of the card recommends a minimum of a 500W PSU and the present PSU can only put out 460W at best + using an underpowered PSU will deprive the card and other hardware of the clean and stable power that is required which will ultimately lead to a premature end of life for one or more components.

Also keep in mind that if the card fails due to using a lesser PSU than is recommended by MSI you have voided your warranty and will have no claim for recompense, MSI and all other brands have techs that can tell when a card has failed after being used under such conditions.

Bronze rated PSUs must be able to produce any maximum claimed output a minimum of 82% of the time that the PSU is ever in use, never use a PSU that is any less than bronze rated as you have no guarantee what the PSU is ever going to produce.

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hey guys, thanks for all your replies.

unfortunately, I'm tight on budget, so I thought I'd buy the GPU and use it for 2-3 weeks with my current power supply, until I get some money and buy this PSU: Thermaltake Smart SP 730W, that I found for cheap in a store near my house, would that be enough ?

Thanks!

Edited by greenscent, 26 December 2014 - 02:36 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest i have no faith in thermaltake psu's and would recommend the evga i listed earlier before that even tho it is only 500watt vs 730watts.

here's a review of the thermaltake and yes it should be fine. :- http://www.hardwares...-Review/1497/11

review of the evga :- http://www.jonnyguru...Story6&reid=384