Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time Lubuntu/linux user, comparison vs Windows XP.

• Please log in to reply

reach1

reach1

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

This is a brief summary of my personal experiences using the Lubuntu 14.04 OS for the first time. My old OS was Windows XP SP3.5.

My specs: 32 bit Laptop, 2200 pentium celeron integrated processor, no graphic memory, 1gb 266MHz ram and 40g HD.

From the beggining the installation process was super easy. Downloaded Lubuntu, burned it to a cd-r and did a full install wiping the out dated XP off my system. The entire process itself took maybe around an hour. All the drivers that I needed were there and working on launch and it comes with a list of programs that are like adobe, notepad, cdburner, bluetooth, radio, ect. A long list of programs are available through the Lubuntu software center to download or remove.

Lubuntu itself runs overall well but it has its glitches, all minor ones in my case and only a few. Once in a while windows disappear(Comes back after opening and closing another window)(Fixed it was switching to the 2nd desktop feature that I removed off the menu bar), Task Manager Priority does not work and my web browser http address is blacked out in firefox(http address fixed with help of ubuntu service). Besides that it runs good and looks very similar but better than XP did.

When compairing the PF usage and CPU usage it can be deceiving. On my fresh install of Lubuntu the PF was 172mb and CPU was 0%-1%. My theory is since the PF is a little lower it takes a little more CPU to run programs like a web browser. When I watch youtube videos with Firefox and flash I notice around the same choppyness compaired to a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 with no performance changes.

I kept track of my frames lost per second over the same 2:42 second youtube video. Both FF and flash have had updates during the time. With fresh installs both XP SP3 and Lubuntu dropped around 1600-2000 frames but with performance improvements my old XP SP3 version dropped 500-700 frames. Keep note I did not have a anti-virus running on Lubuntu durring these tests but I did for XP. I switched to the Opera browser and now I'm dropping 600-1000 frames.

Now I would like to do performance upgrades on Lubuntu but that is easyier said than done. Information on the Lubuntu OS is harder to come across. I have a list of 35 processes in task manager that have no definitions of what they are. If I do figure out what they are I need to learn how to disable them through a command prompt. There are just less options overall to increase performance of Lubuntu. Not to say there are none, chromium is suppose to run better than firefox in Lubuntu. I am sure after I dig around I can make Lubuntu run smoother but I know I will probably never get it running as good as my old XP version. That being said I still think Lubuntu is worth it over XP. Since XP is only a more increasing secerity risk every day, its madness to hold on to it.

Overall I think Lubuntu is a good choice to go with. It may not have all the perks and its a little ruff around the edges but over all its a good choice. It only cost me 40 cents for the cd-r to burn it on so its not like im going to regret it. It sure beats spending $100 on an OS and realizing I don't wan't it. If you are running XP its time to let it go, XP had its day in the sun and it was good, really good but its time is gone and Lubuntu is just getting started.

Edited by reach1, 29 December 2014 - 02:35 PM.

Advertisements

OpenSourcerer

OpenSourcerer

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I currently have my younger sister using Lubuntu on a low spec desktop. I personally prefer debian, since I prefer not having to type su constantly. She is getting use to it, I taught her how to cd to a folder and run Minecraft via a terminal, how to keep software up to date ect. And her using linux has said her from malware quite a few times, which is why I put lubuntu on the box in the first place as she is young and is very gullible, which unfortunatly makes her an early target for malware.
And congrats on trying out linux, its a great "breed" of operating systems.