Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacement for Yahoo! Messenger email notifier?

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Well, like the topic says, I'm looking for something to replace the feature that Yahoo messenger used to (as of a few months ago, I think, it was removed) have.  It would have a popup notification on my taskbar whenever I got an email to my Yahoo account, and leave an icon down there once one got in.  If I hovered over it, it would tell me how many unread emails I have in my inbox.  Now that the feature is gone, I'm looking for something else to replace it.  I need to be able to be notified whenever an email comes in, and know who it's from, in case it is work related.

I tried Howard Email Notifier but it doesn't seem to do anything whatsoever.  I sent myself a test email from my Gmail account to my Yahoo one, and was never notified that it came in.  :(

Thanks in advance for your guy's help & suggestions.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hey GhostLoad,

I know exactly what you're referring to. I left Yahoo behind a few years ago but Google has been threatening to remove the same feature from Google Talk. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any programs that are designed to only provide notification like that, but we may be able to find a solution still.

A couple of questions:

1. Which operating system are you using?
  2. Which browser are you using?

Here's my rationale: We may be able to use the native mail client in Windows to manage your mail. In Windows 7, we would use the Mail module of Windows Live Essentials. In Windows 8, we would use the native mail app that is pre-loaded. Depending on your browser, you may also be able to download an extension or toolbar which can notify you if new messages arrive. It's not my preferred solution, but it's worth exploring.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Windows 7 64-bit, and Google Chrome.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Well you have a couple of options...

First, since you use Chrome, it looks like you can install the Yahoo extension which will provide the notification as new mail arrives. Running in the background would allow you to receive the notifications even if a Chrome window is not open. If you do not have this enabled, then see instructions below:

Allow Chrome to Run in Background

1. Click on the Chrome menu button to the far right of the window.
  2. Click on Settings.
  3. Click on the Show Advanced Settings link.
  4. Under the System heading, place a check in the box for "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed."

Second, you could download and install the Windows Live Mail module for Windows Essentials, which would allow you to receive mail through the application, but not send. This is due to Yahoo's membership structure. Free accounts can receive mail via IMAP but not compose or reply. If you are only interested in receiving notifications then this may be a good option as well.

If you decide on the Windows Essentials option then you can download it here: http://windows.micro...live/essentials

Incoming Server Settings for Yahoo

Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 995

This server requires Secure connection: Yes

Outgoing Server Settings for Yahoo

Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 465

This server requires Secure connection: Yes

My outgoing server requires authentication: Yes

I would say to give Chrome a shot first but Windows Essentials doesn't sound like a bad option. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by Facedown98, 27 December 2014 - 04:08 PM.
Formatting & Added Chrome Background Instructions

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Which Yahoo extension for Google Chrome are you talking about?  There's a bunch of different ones and I don't want the wrong one lol.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

The official Yahoo extension from yahoo.com . If you go to the Chrome Web Store and type in "yahoo" it's the third result under the Extensions heading. The icon has a purple background with white text. The current version is 1.0.1.479.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Well the Yahoo extension doesn't seem to do anything for me, I want a popup in the corner when I get an email, so If I'm playing a video game it'll catch my eye and I can see who it's from.  Is there a way to get Windows Live Mail to run in the background without it having to actually be open and take up space on my taskbar?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

I'm honestly not sure. Let me fix up a Windows 7 virtual machine and give it a try. I'll get back with you soon.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Unfortunately it appears that Live Mail from Windows Essentials does not provide a pop-up notification - only a sound. The good news is that Yahoo no longer charges for free account holders to access their mail via POP and IMAP. That means you can use just about any mail client you wish (Outlook, etc). I would personally recommend Mozilla Thunderbird. It's free and open source. I was able to set up an account rather easily. See the attached screenshot of my new e-mail notification.

The "out of the box" Thunderbird client cannot minimize to the system tray. This means that the application would have to remain open in your task bar at all times. I have good news! You can install an extension from the Mozilla Thunderbird Add-Ons library called MinimizeToTray revived, version 1.1.2. This will do exactly as you expect: minimize Thunderbird to the system tray.

Unless you have a licensed version of Outlook, I would highly recommend using Thunderbird as described above. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• Thunderbird_Notification.png

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I think my workaround might be to leave Windows Live Mail open on my other monitor (I use Actual Multiple Monitors) and it'll keep it off my main screen's taskbar.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

That's fine too. Comes down to your personal preference. If you change your mind, the option is there.

Enjoy!

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Thanks.  :)