Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox redirect / "Reported Web Forgery" [Solved] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

redleader74

redleader74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Ok, so I quarantined that bad proxy, but was that the same thing as the proxy issue we got rid of earlier on in this thread?

I tried Secunia again after quarantining the bad proxy but it still didn't work so I went ahead with FileHippo.  So I think that's everything for now.  Anything esle we need to do at this point?

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts
Ok, so I quarantined that bad proxy, but was that the same thing as the proxy issue we got rid of earlier on in this thread?

Not exactly. In Post#36 we identified the following:

[PUM.Proxy] HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings | ProxyServer : http=127.0.0.1:5555  -> Found

Malwarebytes found the following one.

HKU\S-1-5-18-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|ProxyServer, http=127.0.0.1:5555

Very similar but different. Nice catch by the way.

Anything esle we need to do at this point?

Nope, that's it. Thanks for sticking with me. Are you OK for me to close this topic?

redleader74

redleader74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I haven't encountered any new issues related to this problem.  However, I recently tried to install an HP printer software and received a fatal error involving the following message, "Key not valid for use in specified state."  I did some research online and found that this error message is not unique to HP software installs but can occur for any software install if there are other issues on the machine.  I've installed this same software before on this same machine without issue so I'm wondering if during all the clean up we did, changes were made to the registry, windows installer, administrator rights, etc., that might be causing this error?

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Anything is possible I guess. I would try the following first.

http://uhesse.com/20...pecified-state/

Remove the Update that is mentioned and reboot. Then immediately try to install the software.

If that doesn't work, try running the following Microsoft Fix-It and then try installing.

http://support.micro..._and_uninstall/

Let me know how it goes.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

If neither of the previous options work then one more item to try is the following.

1. Copy the RSA folder from C:\Users\Kwong\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA  to your desktop as a backup.

2. Delete the contents of the RSA folder located at C:\Users\Kwong\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA 

3. Try the install again.

redleader74

redleader74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Ok thanks.  I performed all the suggested steps and either one or all of them did the trick and I was able to get past that error.  thanks.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

No problem. :thumbsup:  Am I OK to close this topic as resolved?

redleader74

redleader74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Yes, thanks.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.