Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear Modem Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

Bruce42

Bruce42

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Having lost internet connection which seemed to be  linked to the above, I have used the Netgear set-up wizard to restore the item to normal working order - but this has given the unit a NEW WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK Security Encryption password.

Would it be OK for me to simply delete this and re-type the old password and say apply? This, if it works without any complications,would allow me to avoid re-configuring all the other tablets, sky boxes etc that use wireless connection but now cannot link because they all have the old password.

Edited by Bruce42, 26 December 2014 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hi Bruce,

Just to recap, you're asking if you can replace the new WPA2 key with another, which you previously used. Is that correct?

If I understand correctly, then there should be no problems with doing so. The password can be changed to just about anything you want. Any restrictions such as capital letters, special symbols, character requirements, etc will be listed in the instructions when you attempt to change it.

I think you're on the right track but let us know if you have any trouble.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Facedown98 Thank you very much. I thought it would be OK, but I could forsee some really complicated situations developing if for any reason it didn't. I have now manually returned the password to the former one, and everything is back and working. Many thanks for your help.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

You're welcome! Glad you're on the right track. See you around!

:cheers: