Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maximum Ram & Speed for Rendering 3D apps

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Majik_Imaje

Majik_Imaje

• Pip
  • 6 posts

The last computer  I built was in late 1999/2000 era -  Ancient technology by now.

I've not kept up with all of the new advances in this areas and I need to build a new computer

that has:  Maximum Ram & Cpu Speed for 3D rendering(s) .  I have no idea what  type of Graphix card would match this system

Any ideas will be greatlly appreciated.      

I would probably purchase 4 x 2 terabyte hard drives for raid storage

I always tend to use dual monitors and I much perfer building two of these units so I can switch between them when one is busy.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice

flowers.jpg

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts

:welcome:  Majik_Imaje.

If you answer some question please, it will help us configure the appropriate build for you.

What software will you use?

What is your budget for one build?

In which country will you purchase parts?

Will that be RAID-10 for storage?

What are the brands/models of your monitors?

Majik_Imaje

Majik_Imaje

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Which software ??   =  3D Studio Max  &  Maya -  Z brush  etc.

My budget ?   = What ever it takes

Which country ?? -   USA

Yes  on  RAID  10

Brands of monitors = ViewSonic

I need a motherboard that can support 32 gig or more if possible

Realize this that in less than 5 years time most of the componets will be outdated!   (again).

For what it is worth (nothing)  I live in the upper regions of Alaska's Arctic @ the Top of the World!

Thank you very much for avoiding to answer a simple question;

what type monitors ???  what county to purchase parts =???

What  planet do you reside on ???  So much for getting any decent help here...!!

Edited by Majik_Imaje, 29 December 2014 - 03:11 PM.

Majik_Imaje

Majik_Imaje

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

:welcome:  Majik_Imaje.

If you answer some question please, it will help us configure the appropriate build for you.

What software will you use?

What is your budget for one build?

In which country will you purchase parts?

Will that be RAID-10 for storage?

What are the brands/models of your monitors?

Not one of these stupid questions are pertinent  to the issue @ hand!

GFY

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

well yes they are pertinent to your query because then he can source the parts from a site that is available to you, and there's no point in suggesting a build that is going to cost $3000+ if you can only afford to spend $1000 or less, some drives do not work well in raid, etc etc.

i doubt you'll be getting any further assistance from the helpers here because of your attitude, how old are you anyway? a spoilt 10yr old by the sounds of it but i will tell you the system i'd be looking to build for professional 3d rendering would be an intel socket 2011 system with a 12 core xeon cpu, 64gb+ of ddr4 ram, ssd drive, and nvidia quadro k6000x2 graphics card.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 29 December 2014 - 05:29 PM.

Majik_Imaje

Majik_Imaje

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thank you very much Terry -  that is all I needed to know.l  l 

I am 70 years young - I know  b .s. when I smell it OK ??

Thanks again for giving me all the info I need to get started in the right direction.

I wuz born @ night.... but it wasn't last night!!

thanks again.

popcorn.gif

popcorn1.gif

popcorn2.gif

Edited by Majik_Imaje, 29 December 2014 - 08:30 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

:thumbsup:

just for info, it wasn't bs, it's just iammykyl likes to be thorough and cover all the bases before he offers his excellent expert advice. ;)

Edited by terry1966, 29 December 2014 - 08:49 PM.

Majik_Imaje

Majik_Imaje

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

LIsten terry -  don't  "nibble" me.   

where am I going to purchase parts ??     Get Bent OK   !!

No offense - Don't play me for "stupid".

dinner.jpg

35.jpg

Edited by Majik_Imaje, 29 December 2014 - 09:26 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

:rofl:

not playing you for anything, and nobody thought you were stupid, that's just his standard first post to get as much info as possible, then he uses his excellent technical knowledge to go out of his way to find and list the best possible devices at the best price from sites he knows are in your region.

eg.

for usa he might list this :- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116901

for the uk he'd list this :- http://www.dabs.com/...ocked-8NG1.html

same part but he'd make sure it was linked to a site best suited to your location.

don't forget these are people who give up their free time for no compensation whatever, except for the fact it pleases them to help other people whenever they can.

so a bit of graciousness and answering a few simple questions is nothing much to ask for the knowledge and guidance you'd get back free of charge, is it really?  ;)

Edited by terry1966, 29 December 2014 - 10:30 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,228 posts

Hi Majik_Imaje,

I have been following this topic. I'm glad that you got the answer you were looking for and I would like for you to think of us anytime you have a system question or a problem. That being said, I am a bit dismayed by your attitude. We all give out time freely to help others here. Iammykyl has been a systems Tech here for a long time. He is very knowledgeable and professional. His questions were meant to give him the information he needed to tailor his answer to your needs, as terry1996 has explained. And as terry1996 confirmed, they weren't out of line. And they certainly weren't stupid. We wouldn't let anyone say that a question of yours is stupid and we would appreciate the same courtesy from you.

We realize that reasonable people will disagree from time to time. However, we expect those disagreements to be respectful by all parties.

Regards,

godawgs

Majik_Imaje

Majik_Imaje

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi Majik_Imaje,

I have been following this topic. I'm glad that you got the answer you were looking for and I would like for you to think of us anytime you have a system question or a problem. That being said, I am a bit dismayed by your attitude. We all give out time freely to help others here. Iammykyl has been a systems Tech here for a long time. He is very knowledgeable and professional. His questions were meant to give him the information he needed to tailor his answer to your needs, as terry1996 has explained. And as terry1996 confirmed, they weren't out of line. And they certainly weren't stupid. We wouldn't let anyone say that a question of yours is stupid and we would appreciate the same courtesy from you.

We realize that reasonable people will disagree from time to time. However, we expect those disagreements to be respectful by all parties.

Regards,

godawgs

Very professional ??????    surely you jest!  

I am not one bit interested in  childish excuses  OK ??   good!

Terry gave me exactly  the answer I needed / requested.    Simple & direct.

END OF DISCUSSION

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,228 posts

I didn't offer any excuses. It's obvious that you can't tell the difference between an explanation and an excuse. We want you to enjoy your visits here and be an active member. But have it your way. Your attitude has been noted.