Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change links in taskbar to Chrome

• Please log in to reply

scomar

scomar

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 Pro OS.  I have installed Chrome and made it my default browser, but when I select the links button in the taskbar it shows my links from Internet Explorer.  Is there away to change it so the links button matches up with my Chrome browser links?

Thanks,

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Odd.  On mine they open in Chrome.  Right click on one of the links and select properties.  Under Web Document what does it say after URL:

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Chrome.JPG IE11.JPG

Odd.  On mine they open in Chrome.  Right click on one of the links and select properties.  Under Web Document what does it say after URL:

When I do this it just shows the website address.  Here is the exact thing it shows:  http://www.kshb.com/weather

Just to be clear; when I click on one of the bookmarks using the links button from the task bar it WILL open the webpage in my default browser Chrome.  The issue is the link button in the task bar is showing bookmarks from IE 11 under the links bar beneath the address box.  I would like for the links button on the task bar to show the links from the bookmark bar beneath the address box in Chrome.

As you can see from the two images I have attached, one named IE11 and one named Chrome, they show IE opened with the link button opened and Chrome with the link button opened.  This will give you a visual of what I am talking about.

Thanks!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Don't think you can change that easily.  The Links stuff appears to come from shortcuts in the folder C:\Users\(Yourname)\Favorites\Favorites Bar.

Chrome doesn't use shortcuts or a folder.  Instead it uses a file.  C:\Users\(YourName)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome|User Data\Default\Bookmarks

I think this is a hidden location so you may have to:

Open the Control Panel menu and click Folder Options.
    After the new window appears select the View tab.
    Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
    Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    Press the Apply button and then the OK button

in order to see the file.  As it doesn't have an extension you will need to tell it to open it in Notepad or Word Pad if you want to read it.

This is a piece of mine:

{
   "checksum": "52a429a9eac61ceeed5ec82197fb38d6",
   "roots": {
      "bookmark_bar": {
         "children": [ {
            "date_added": "13031346767167804",
            "id": "6",
            "name": "Geek",
            "type": "url",
            "url": "http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/"
         }, {