Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speed problem

• Please log in to reply

Pufi

Pufi

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Ok so I bought that new HDD as I told you in the earlier topics, but I don't know if this is because of the device attached, or the HDD itself. The copying speed from the hard disk to an external flash drive is EXTREMELY LOW. I tried to copy a movie and the speed is 700 kb/s maximum. Even uploading is slow; I tried to upload a photo of 2MB to Dropbox and it took 30 secs

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Now I see why it was moving so slow when I installed windows; it's the same problem!

EDIT 2: I inserted the USB in a laptop and tried to copy something into the USB, I didn't have this problem, the speed was fine. So it has something to do with the HDD

Edited by Pufi, 28 December 2014 - 05:22 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Make and complete model number of the hard drive?

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
The HDD is a WD blue with the model number WDC WD10EZEX - 21M2N

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

That's a 1TB, 7200RPM SATA drive with 150 MB/s sustained data rate so unless the drive is defective, which happens with new drives occasionally, something else is causing the problem.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
7 Free Hard Drive Testing Programs
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

If it passes all the tests, try booting to Safe Mode with Networking and see how a copy to a flash drive performs. If okay then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try using Clean Boot to figure out what the cause is:

Clean BOOT Windows XP

Clean Boot Vista/Windows 7

Clean BOOT Windows 8/8.1

What OS and what is the make and full model number of the computer? Are there any yellow marks showing in Device Manager?

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok so I ran the Data lifeguard test and it went just fine, it passed everything. Then I booted in safe mode with networking; same speed. I don't know the computer maker and model, but the motherboard is an ASUS P5L 1394. No yellow triangle in device manager. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate

Edited by Pufi, 31 December 2014 - 05:06 AM.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Anybody there?

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

OK, so I found out something: when I connect my USB device it says "This device can perform faster... blah blah blah" and when I click the baloon, it says that there is no hi-speed port installed in the computer, but on the old HDD I didn't have this problem.

Edited by Pufi, 03 January 2015 - 11:56 AM.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Alright, I'm sooooooo dumb, sorry for posting this thread for nothing!

I realized that last time, when my HDD didn't work, I reseted the BIOS settings to default, therefore I disabled USB 2.0 support, so the speed was so low because it was operating in USB 1.0 mode.

Again, sorry for posting this thread for nothing!

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi,

Though I had no input on this thread till now, I will say don't worry, we all forget something simple sometimes and finish up wondering why or what went wrong.

I will also say thanks for getting back to us and letting us know as it may well prove useful for someone else having similar problems, and I assume you have now re-enabled the USB 2 in the BIOS and all is now OK?

Nev.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I'm just glad you figured out the cause. Good info for someone else perhaps.

Thanks