Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running duplicate displays in separate rooms

• Please log in to reply

James1977

James1977

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Briefly, I have a gaming PC in my living room that I use for games and all TV entertainment(shows and movies I have loaded onto the computer). I want the same movies and TV shows in my bedroom. It would be a good $150 less to use my PC in both rooms. 

PC:
Intel i5 3570k
GTX 760 Super Clocked
Windows 7 OS

My Questions:

HDMI. I want to run 2 cables from the PC. One to the LR using the HDMI port on the GTX760, the other to the bedroom using the HDMI port on the motherboard. Does that work?

Control. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard in my living room. Is connecting a different set in my bedroom using about 50 feet of USB with repeater ok?

Thank you!!

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no i do not think that will work just because of the 50 foot usb cable length you state, i believe usb has a max working cable length of about 15 foot.

never actually having set up a similar system, i think i'd be looking at some sort of kvm extender, something similar to this :-  http://www.amazon.co...mi kvm extender

:popcorn:                                                                                                            

Edited by terry1966, 29 December 2014 - 08:13 PM.