Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard overheating?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Over the holidays, I decided to dust off an old Pentium D dekstop PC that's been dormant for a year or so.  I was bored and wanted to tinker around with it.  Anyway, I wiped the HDD with DBAN and reinstalled the OS.  Cleaned it up pretty nice and connected peripherals I found in storage as well, DVD-R drive, Memory card reader, front side panel USB, audio and video, and two quieter fans.  Now it purrs like a kitten and if it were 10 years ago, I'd be thrilled  :yes:

Very barebones at this point, but I did install Speccy so I could see what hardware was installed.  Speccy shows temperatures for the motherboard and HDD.  It doesn't show temps for the CPU, which I find odd.

Anyway, HDD temp is 28°C and the motherboard temp is 53°C.  The motherboard temperature seems very high.  Shouldn't it be in the high 20s to mid-30s?  Like I said, the PC is barebones, so the motherboard and CPU are not under any heavy load.

Also, not sure how accurate Speccy is for hardware temps, so I'm wondering if there's a better program to install that will monitor temperatures, or check them on demand.

I look forward to your replies.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Thank you for the reply Phillpower2.  I am attaching the screen shot for SpeedFan.  I was reluctant to download and install HWMonitor as it seems to require that you also d/l/install some malware as well.

SpeedfanStats_zps4f314858.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Temps are high but the voltages look ok.

Nothing that would be suggested here contains any malware so can I ask from where you got that information about HWMonitor?

See the web of trust rating here for CPUID the provider of the software.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Temps are high but the voltages look ok.

Nothing that would be suggested here contains any malware so can I ask from where you got that information about HWMonitor?

See the web of trust rating here for CPUID the provider of the software.

Thanks for the reply.  Good to know the motherboard is ok.

I used your link for HWMonitor.  When I click on the download button, my Avast antivirus program blocks it and shows malware.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Actually, I realized I was clicking the wrong download button on your link's page.  I hate when they do that.  You have look at everything carefully.  Anyway, downloaded and installed HWMonitor.  Here's the screenshot.

HWMonitor_zpsb0dca999.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Voltages are fine but your CPU is rather hot considering that it is not under load, did you clean the dust off the heatsink and cooling fan (no need to remove the heatsink to do this).

The Northbridge is also hot (MCH = Northbridge) and looking at the HWMonitor information I feel that a better/faster rear exhaust fan would help as it will expel the internal hot air more efficiently.

FWIW the max safe CPU temp is 62.3°C 

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Voltages are fine but your CPU is rather hot considering that it is not under load, did you clean the dust off the heatsink and cooling fan (no need to remove the heatsink to do this).

The Northbridge is also hot (MCH = Northbridge) and looking at the HWMonitor information I feel that a better/faster rear exhaust fan would help as it will expel the internal hot air more efficiently.

FWIW the max safe CPU temp is 62.3°C 

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

I did clean the dust off both heatsink and CPU cooling fan.  Did it again this evening after reading your post.  Ran HWMonitor again and posted the screen print for you below.  Also, I'm getting these high temps despite the fact that I have both side panels removed for the PC case.  So the PC is wide open in an area away from heater vents and with plenty of ventilation. 

Would it be a good idea to remove the CPU and apply a new layer of thermal paste?  BTW, is there any way to speed up the rear chassis fan?

Also, the heatsink on the mobo, is that directly responsible for keeping the temperatures down for the MCH?  Though it doesn't have a fan on it, is there thermal compound applied to the bottom of the heatsink and could it have been applied poorly, or gotten old?  Would it be worth it to disconnect the heatsink, clean it off, apply new thermal compound and reinstall?

HWMonitor2_zpsf004402b.png

Edited by Webslinger64, 02 January 2015 - 10:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Thermal paste will not normally need reapplying unless the heatsink is removed, if you do remove it consider replacing it with a newer more efficient one, these commonly come with a thermal pad pre applied.

Controlling the rear chassis fan speed depends on the type of fan, a 4 pin type connected to a header on the MB can normally be controlled whereas the 3 pin or molex connection from the PSU type cannot, what type do you have.

The CPU HS only keeps the temp of the CPU down and not the Northbridge.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Thermal paste will not normally need reapplying unless the heatsink is removed, if you do remove it consider replacing it with a newer more efficient one, these commonly come with a thermal pad pre applied.

Controlling the rear chassis fan speed depends on the type of fan, a 4 pin type connected to a header on the MB can normally be controlled whereas the 3 pin or molex connection from the PSU type cannot, what type do you have.

The CPU HS only keeps the temp of the CPU down and not the Northbridge.

Sounds like getting a new heatsink would be a good idea.  I think I will try that. 

The rear chassis fan is connected to the mobo directly, not the PSU.  I believe it is a 4 pin type and will double check to make sure, then let you know. 

So, is there anything I can do for the Northbridge to bring the temps down?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

You can buy Northbridge chipset coolers, some examples here unfortunately fitting one of these will not help if a chipset is faulty but I dont feel that yours is because you are not getting any BSOD which can be triggered by the memory controller hub (MCH) being too hot.

No need to quote every reply btw  ;) 

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

OK, I'm going to try that route.  Thanks for the help and the education.  Once completed, I will repost to let you know how it goes. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

You are most welcome and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

So, I cleaned off thermal paste from both the CPU and Northbridge heatsinks.  Both were pretty cruddy and poorly applied.  Applied new paste and here's the HWMonitor screenshot now.  Not what I was hoping for, but certainly and improvement.

untitled_zps5185ec45.jpg

Edited by Webslinger64, 09 January 2015 - 01:36 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

The temps do look better but without a cooling fan being attached the Northbridge will not get any cooler, this because of the large number of tasks that it has to handle.