Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

system stanby

• Please log in to reply

dpica

dpica

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
i have windows xp.....and after i put my computer in stand-by mode, i can't wake it
using the mouse or keyboard...i have to hit the on button...this only started after
i did a reformat...it was working before....any suggestions

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Are you using a desktop or a laptop?

If you're using a desktop I actually don't recommend using Stand By, this was a feature intended for laptops to help save power (Just like hibernation). For desktops, just either have the monitor shut off or turn it off. Either way, I don't think Stand By is necessary for desktops. :tazz:

B

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Are you using a desktop or a laptop?

If you're using a desktop I actually don't recommend using Stand By, this was a feature intended for laptops to help save power (Just like hibernation).  For desktops, just either have the monitor shut off or turn it off.  Either way, I don't think Stand By is necessary for desktops.   :tazz:

B

View Post

That depends. If you don't wish to wait the time for the computer to startup, you should choose to use standby, as everything is in the RAM and it starts up fast. If you use hibernate, it still takes a bit of time, but everything is on the HD and you're not consuming any power. I bet you know all of this, but everything depends. For instance, my dad chooses to use standby instead of hibernation because he tends to leave his computer from time-to-time, and it's more convenient. It all depends on the implementations of the feature.

-SkyHi

Edited by SkyHi, 11 June 2005 - 07:56 PM.

dpica

dpica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i am using a desktop....ok i will not use stand-by....would it be better to shut down my comp at night...it still does'nt answer my question of why i can't wake from stand-by with the keyboard

Edited by dpica, 11 June 2005 - 07:59 PM.

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Oh, sorry. As for the reason, are they USB devices?

-SkyHi

dpica

dpica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
nope they are not

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
When you put your computer on standby, do the lights on the keyboard still have light emitting from them? I'm talking about caps lock etc..?

-SkyHi