Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC : kernel_data_inpage_error - C'mon now!?

• Please log in to reply

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Background:

I purchased a set which featured 4 gigs of DDR3 and a socket FM1 processor. The mainboard was free with the purchase (rut-roh). Yes, I know. I purchased a hard drive separately... and it HAD to be a WD. I just don't trust any other brand. The PSU was an Antec. After a few months, the system began shutting off withtout warning and rebooting. I figured that there must be a board problem (since it was free), so I replaced the *Biostar with a new MSI board with the same specs; that way I could just transfer the memory and all to the new board. Unfortunately the processor got away from me and was damaged. I replaced it with a new AMD A8 and installed it with all the proper compound (I don't go with the stick-on crap). I also figured I'd install a new Seasonic PSU just to rule it out. I retained the original RAM and installed it on the new board. I installed Windows 7 clean, x86. Guess what... it started to do it again, but way less frequent (perhaps the new board had different memory dynamics). So I found my 64 bit CD and re-installed Windows in 64 bit. Still doing it. Okay... I found out that the BSOD is disabled in Windows 7 for some reason, and it was just rebooting without showing it. So I enabled it and got the error in the title of this. I also found the crash dump with a program I have. I included an attachment image of the screen cap from the report. Parameter 2 is c000009d.

0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or that the controller does not see the hard disk.

What the Heck? Now... I KNOW that the RAM installed is from the old (still new) board, and is still in question. I ran CHKDSK and I used the WD Lifeguard utility afterwards. Being a new WD drive, I trust the out-of-box quality of it. I'm not sure if CHKDSK made any repairs to the volume, but I found two "windows old" folders in the directory, so I know it could not have been a clean installation from the previous upgrades and such. I know the SATA cables are good since I've swapped a few since the original board. I did a memory test for the RAM, btw. No results.

So I ordered new RAM, mainly because 64 bit affords me more than 4 gigs. Before I install it, perhaps I can verify the integrity of the old RAM chipset. In summary, since the only original hardware is the RAM and the HDD, I think the RAM is more likely the culprit. I've spent enough cash on swapping parts out, and I sort of want to build another system with the stuff I rejected (for a friend). I mean, it's been a day since the CHKDSK utility ran, and nothing happened since; but it's still early. Is there a more intensive check I can perform to really test the remaining hardware?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

to check the wd drive, i'd run the extended test.

1. Download the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, WinDlg_v1_27.zip
  2. Extract and run the program, WinDlg.exe. If running Windows Vista (or later), you will need to Right-Click on the WinDlg.exe file and choose to Run As Administrator.
  3. Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
  4. On the main program screen, there are two windows. In the top window, you will see the drives in your system that are available for testing. The model number, serial number, capacity, and SMART status of each drive will be displayed. In the bottom window, the partition information for the selected drive will be displayed.
  5. Highlight the drive and select the icon on the top row to test or run SMART status.
  6. When you select the run tests icon, the "DLGDIAG - Select an Option" window appears.
  7. You will see the following options:
    • QUICK TEST - performs SMART drive quick self-test to gather and verify the Data Lifeguard information contained on the drive.
    • EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive.
    • WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost.
    • VIEW TEST RESULT - displays the latest test results.
  8. Select the test you wish to perform and click the Start button.
  9. When the test completes, you will be notified with a pass/fail message. Click the Close button.

http://support.wdc.c...oupid=612&sid=3

:popcorn:

sorry missed where you said you'd already run the lifeguard test, so the above can be ignored. :blush:

you seem to have covered everything but i'd still try doing a sfc /scannnow and see if there may be a windows file problem. :- http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html

Edited by terry1966, 29 December 2014 - 08:33 PM.

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Thanks for responding. I did the sfc / scannow and it did not find any integrity violations. If I install the RAM and the BSOD happens again, I'll call the Ghostbusters. Maybe relocate the page file to a different drive like on my old XP machine.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

no probs, just sorry i couldn't think of anything new for you to test, bad cables would be my best guess seeing how everything passes testing but you've already tried more than 1 to rule that out.

:popcorn: