Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

what to store on seagate external harddrive

• Please log in to reply

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

hello, i bought a seagate external hard drive to free up my computer... i have put all i know of on it... but my computer is still at 3/4 full... can anyone help me determin what can be moved over safely... im quite noobish for these things.. when i try to fix problems myself i end up here getting help to undo my problems and have been... um.. encouraged not to do things on my own again lol... any advice? thanks

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

what you'd put on there to free up space are all your data files, so we're taking about video's, pictures, music, word documents, stuff like that.

i'd also run a program like ccleaner :- https://www.piriform.com/ to make sure all the unneeded temp files are removed so freeing up more hd space.

personally tho i'd want to store all my data on at least 2 hard drives because if that external fails at any time then you will lose all your data.

:popcorn:

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Also to add my two penny worth, a good rule of thumb if you like is to keep things on the computer that you need on a daily basis, though still put a copy of it on the external hard drive, otherwise move everything else on to the external hard drive.

A question that could help us if answered is how big is the external hard drive, and how big is the drive inside the computer, if the new external is a lot bigger than the internal one then it gives you room to put everything on it as either moved or just a copy.

Nev.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

hi thanks for the input.... the seagate is 3.. whatever the measurement is.. its huge im told... and my computer is 6 gigs.. but for some reason it says only 4 is useable...:(

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hum, not really what I meant, so can you give us the model number of the Seagate drive, and also the make and model number of the computer, we can find the information from them.

Nev.