Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

me again

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Thanks for the screenshot. If you right-click on F:\ and select Uninstall, then the driver should be removed from the system. If you unplug and plug the USB cable back in, then Windows will re-install the disk. It's a long shot but I am hoping that the driver will re-install successfully. If you tried on other computers then a driver issue sounds unlikely, but it's worth a shot.

At this point we have isolated the issue to the hard disk or the enclosure. You may want to consider replacing one or the other. The best case scenario is that the enclosure is defective and replacing it will restore access to your files. The less ideal scenario is that replacing the enclosure does not help and you isolate the issue to the hard disk. We can figure out where to go once we get there.

I wish I had better news for you but this is all I have for the moment. If anyone from the community has more ideas, please share them!

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hi mate..device manager didnt show up any problems this time.. i uninstalled the driver anyway and restarted  the lappy..device manager still sees it but device doesnt show ...screenshot attached

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled2.gif

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Is there any info listed if you click on the Events tab?

In the Device window, right click on the ST1500LM00- > Properties, anything?

With the encloser connected, In the Run Box, type diskmgmt.msc > click OK.   Drag the right side and bottom of the window out, so all information can be seen, please take a screenshot.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hope this is the right one...i looked through some others but it wont let me upload the file here..i'll do the other disk thing in a mo

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled3.jpg

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

disk management wont run with the drive connected..it just sits as in screen shot

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled4.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I was hoping to possible get more indications of what's happening..

The first screenshot (reply #19) is right, but the errors, without reference to a dump log, are too generic to be of use.

The second shot (reply #20) is a mystery as I have never seen where a plugged in device has stopped disc management from displaying the other drive.

You have tried the caddy in different USB sockets as asked for by Facedown98, but see no mention of swapping the actual USB cable, have you tried that??

Open up Device manager again. you will see ST1500LM00 HN-M151RAD. so a hard drive is being detected, link > http://disctech.com/...SATA-Hard-Drive

Try right clicking on it, then select properties, it should show it as a SATA drive. please post a screenshot. 

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hi mate, here it is

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks.

In the properties window that is open > click Volume, then take a screenshot, > then look for and click on the Populate tab, wait for the info to appear.   Please post another screenshot.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hope this is right

isnt this the hard drive we're looking at ?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled1.jpg
  • Untitled2.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That drive looks OK and has a drive letter © so don't know why it does not show in Disk Management.

Have you tried a different USB cable to the Caddy?

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

sorry, i probly didnt explain well enough....disc management runs fine without the caddy plugged in...when i connect the caddy disc management wont run as in post # 20. it just hangs...also the mousepad and my wireless mouse act a bit strange when the caddy is plugged in...i dont have another cable to try, as its a double male cable, will have to see if i can pick one up

i appreciate all your help mate...thanks

the caddy comes up as the inito usb device  as in post #17

ill try device manager, volumes, populate on the caddy if it'll work

well, that failed......volumes list will not populate...it almost seems like the device manager is stuck in a boot up loop, the display resets every minute

Edited by vistasucks, 01 January 2015 - 07:45 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think trying another cable is the cheapest option.  A common issue with caddies, is the USB plug going bad.   This will probable make no difference, try swapping the cable, end to end. 

Your are welcome :thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

i'll try and see if i can fit it in my pc and ill try another cable

i'll post back in a while

thanks again mate and happy new year  :spoton:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hey guys, sorry for my delay.

I agree with iammykyl, the issue is starting to sound more isolated to the enclosure. The fact that your USB mouse begins acting differently implies a short which is impacting the controller. The issue is likely with the USB cable or the enclosure itself. The USB cable would be the easiest and less expensive part to replace, so I would start there. If not, then you may consider replacing the enclosure. I am not yet convinced that the drive is bad.

Another thought: This hard disk enclosure has an external power supply right? Is it connected directly to a power outlet on the wall, or a surge protector? You may consider plugging into a surge protector just to eliminate the possibility of inconsistent power. Too much or too little power to the enclosure could also explain erratic behavior.

Best of luck to you and we hope to hear back soon! :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It's been a while since we heard from you!! Have your solved your problem? or do you still need help?   An update would be appreciated.