Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - Please review.

• Please log in to reply

StrangeToy

StrangeToy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have not built a new PC in a long time, so I am pretty rusty. So before I buy what I have put together, I wanted to get some eyes on my choices. My budget is $1800, and this will be a gaming machine, I already have a Dell 27" monitor.

Here is what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gf6VZL

Text Version:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($169.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($98.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1689.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-30 13:11 EST-0500

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   StrangeToy,

Not a bad list of parts but there are a couple of things you should be advised of;

The CPU is overkill for gaming and unless you plan on taking up professional video rendering, CAD or 3D modelling etc you only need an i5 such as the 4690K, example here

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-009862.htm

Consider swapping the 3TB HDD for two X 1TB, a 3TB HDD will be a pain to keep backing up + it would be an awful lot of data to loose should the HDD fail.

Asides from your list two other things to mention: 1: You have not included an OS in your list, what will you be using. 2: For the Ram to run at 1866MHz it needs to be overclocked.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

If you do decide to use an aftermarket cooler, please check careflly for clearance, the Ripjaw Height: 40 mm / 1.58 inch; 

StrangeToy

StrangeToy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you both for your help, and advice!

I plan on building this as a window 7 machine for now, and then hopefully will upgrade it to 10 later. I picked the 3tb for the price break, and the size. I have a ton of large external drives that I use for backup purposes, so the space is not an issue.

For the CPU, I do plan on playing with some video editing, so I am willing to be a little over powered on that one. It's true that I was not planning on overclocking this machine right off the bat, I thought I might do so after a year or two, if there was a performance issue. So that would resolve the CPU Fan and the memory clearance issue, I am happy to drop the fan from the list.

If I stay the course with not overclocking this system, what memory would you suggest for a high end gaming and video editing machine? Memory speeds and CAS has confused me for some time, and I would love some help in choosing the best memory.

Once again, thank you for your help!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally i'd keep everything has is (maybe get the dh15 instead because of ram height.), that's going to be a great system. :thumbsup:

i think the tech's here have to point out the warranty issues and stuff, but in all honesty just ignore that stuff.

heat is the killer of all electronics, so the cooler you can keep things the better.

a good aftermarket cooler like the one you've chosen keeps the cpu cooler than the supplied one and therefore prolongs the cpu life.

not even sure if intel actually supply heatsinks any more with it's upper end cpu's like the one you've chosen.

tried to verify this and none of the 3 sites i visited mentions a heatsink in the retail box, tell a lie just tried a 4th site and it does say heatsink included.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 31 December 2014 - 02:02 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

what memory would you suggest for a high end gaming and video editing machine? Memory speeds and CAS has confused me for some time, and I would love some help in choosing the best memory.

There are other blogs, but this will help answer your question. > http://www.pugetsyst...quency-RAM-142/

I always stay with the natively supported speed and voltage of the CPU, in your case DDR3 1600MHz @ 1.5V.   Cas 9 or under.  At first run of the computer, the BIOS will set the Default RAM speed, 1333MHz, so (in the BIOS) you still have to select the XMP 1600MHz profile, this is not overclocking

For the CPU, I do plan on playing with some video editing, so I am willing to be a little over powered on that one.

CPU is right but video editing is heavily dependent on RAM as well, I advice min of 16GB.   RAM is only guaranteed to be compatible when bought in kit form.   As you are foregoing the aftermarket cooler,(for the moment) consider using this RAM, > http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

personally i'd keep everything has is (maybe get the dh15 instead because of ram height.), that's going to be a great system. :thumbsup:

i think the tech's here have to point out the warranty issues and stuff, but in all honesty just ignore that stuff.

heat is the killer of all electronics, so the cooler you can keep things the better.

a good aftermarket cooler like the one you've chosen keeps the cpu cooler than the supplied one and therefore prolongs the cpu life.

not even sure if intel actually supply heatsinks any more with it's upper end cpu's like the one you've chosen.

tried to verify this and none of the 3 sites i visited mentions a heatsink in the retail box, tell a lie just tried a 4th site and it does say heatsink included.

:popcorn:2011 _v3

We do often make members aware of the CPU warranty and if they choose to change the stock cooler for an aftermarket one, they do so at their own risk.   We would never advice to ignore any warranty, as it could come back and bite you.   If anything went wrong, they could rightly blame us/you.   The same warranty applies to overclocking, CPU or GPU.   Where "Turbo/Boost" is specified, i.e. i7 4790K  4.0GHz to 4.4GHz, that is not overclocking, going over those specs, voids the warranty.

All Intel Boxed Retail CPUs come with stock cooling, exceptions, socket 2011, 2011_v3.   CPUs supplied as "Tray" no cooler.   Xeon and server CPUs, some do, some don't, you always have to check, even where it says it does have a cooler, still need to check as some are passive, some have a fan. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sound guidance iammykyl  :thumbsup:

In addition to the above, OEM/Tray processors that do not ship with an approved/tested by Intel cooler are not covered by the standard 3 year Intel warranty, the merchant from where the processor was purchased is liable for any warranty claim/s and they are typically only for one year (or less) the example CPU that I provided the link to is one such example that can be purchased without a stock Intel cooler and if if you check the link here you will find that it is only covered by a one year warranty. 

StrangeToy

StrangeToy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I really appreciate all the help, you all are great!

I have a better understanding of memory, I found this which seems a tiny bit faster? http://tinyurl.com/mtjpbj9

I don't plan on overclocking the machine right away, but I do want to have everything in place for that option. So I plan on getting the better CPU fan you suggested, the Noctua DH-15. I double checked to make sure it would fit in my case.

Now I have a solid plan in hand, but the Noctua DH-15 is out of stock. Arrrgghh. :) I was told that Phanteks was also a good product, is there one the same as the Noctua DH-15 that you would suggest, or wait for the DH15?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcome. :thumbsup:

TridentX: 54mm (2.13in) with fin; 39mm (1.54in) without fin, very tall.   You can remove the fin, but that defeats the reason for buying.   I would stay with the CAS 9, very stable, in every day use, you will notice no difference by going lower.

I would not use the Phanteks, it is huge, > http://www.tomshardw...ell,3554-8.html (see the comparison table) If not the D14/15 consider the NH-14S which in some test reviews is Noctua's best cooler..   For all coolers, measure the hight to the closed side panel, I made the mistake of  installing a D14  but when I came to close the case up, it was 1/4" to high, a hassle to go back to the stock cooler.   The D14 is still sat on the shelf.

the  NH-14S is better than many liquid coolers. http://hardocp.com/a.../3#.VKXJS9KUf6E

Warning, you can drive yourself crazy making these comparisons

A happy New Year.

Good luck.