Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

is my i3 540 bottlenecking my gpu ?

• Please log in to reply

greenscent

greenscent

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hello guys, I've recently upgraded my PC with an MSI gtx 760 OC 2g edition, it's running fine and I haven't had any issue since I started using it.

The problem is, sometimes when I'm playing a game, Dragon age Inquisition (settings on ultra) for exemple, I get between 50 and 60 fps when exploring cavex/mountains/plains, but whenever I'm in a city/settlements, my fps drop to 15-20, is it caused by my CPU or is the gpu just to weak ?

Also, through MSI afterburner, whenever my fps drop, the GPU usage meter drops to 60-70%.

here are my specs:

- i3 540 3.06Ghz

- Asus P7H55-M Motherboard

- Msi GeForce GTX 760 2Gb Gaming edition

- Thermaltake smart SE 730w

- 8 Gb of ram (DDR3)

- Windows 7 SP1 64Bits

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hi Greenscent,

How does the game perform with lesser quality settings? I assume Ultra is the highest. If you lower it by one level, does the performance improve much?

Your GPU and RAM meet the recommended system requirements for the game. Unfortunately, your processor meets the minimum requirements on a certain level. You have an Intel i3-540 as you mentioned; that processor technically has two physical cores and two logical cores, essentially providing you with four (quad) cores. The processor uses Hyper-Threading (HT) technology to accomplish this. I think there is room for debate on the performance. In my opinion, a quad core processor (four physical cores) will perform better than a dual core processor with two logical cores. HT is great technology but when we talk about comparing your processor to a quad core processor, I would select the quad core. We actually have a nice topic going about this subject right now: http://www.geekstogo...3-or-i5-choice/

Lets have a look at your "can you run it" results. Please see: http://www.systemreq...uisition/12360/

Another technician here at Geeks to Go introduced me to this. It may provide some helpful ideas.

Also, please ensure that you have the most current drivers installed for your GPU. NVIDIA frequently releases updates to improve performance.

Hope to hear back from you soon! :thumbsup:

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hello Facedown98, and thanks for your answer.

On many of the different games I have on PC, especially demanding (recent) ones, the FPS are almost identical whether I put the settings on high or low. I've tried another game for exemple, The Forest, and whether I put the settings on high or turn everything down, the fps don't change at all (25 to 40 fps), I also noticed that the GPU usage is between 50% to 60%, whereas the CPU usage is between 40% to 70%. it may be caused by the game being still in it's alpha build, but most of the videos that I've watched online show no such issues.

I've tried the link you posted (http://www.systemreq...uisition/12360/) and after running the app, the results were as follows:

Minimum : Green (passed)  60% pass, 40% fail.

Recommended: Green (passed) 16% pass, 84% fail.

as for the details, all the components apart from the CPU.

Hope this helps.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the analysis detected that your system is not well-suited for Recommended settings. Meeting the minimum requirements will only produce minimal performance.

Can you please attach screenshots (or type) the sections which your system did not meet the requirements? The detailed analysis should be part of the report and include your GPU, RAM, OS, etc. I am just curious which areas it identified as being an issue.

I'm sorry if you already answered this, but can you please verify that you have the latest GPU drivers installed?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon :thumbsup:

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ah yes, sorry, I actually took some screenshots but forgot to post them.

Here is a link: imgur.com/a/3vE48.

I've made sure the latest driver is installed (347.09).

I don't know if this will help you or not, but on a game like Battlefield 4, whenever I get 60 fps the gpu usge is around 96-99% and Cpu is 50-60%, but whenever I enter an area with many enemies, or things happening, the fps drop to around 30-35 and the GPU usage to 40-60%, whereas the CPU usage reaches 97%.

could it be a cpu bottleneck ?

once again thank you for your answers :).

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Thanks for the screenshots and for confirming your driver version.

I would expect the GPU to be heavily utilized during gameplay, so I don't think that's abnormal. There are a number of variables that come into play (number of players, location in the map, etc) but your card should be able to handle it. If your GPU utilization is dropping to 40-60% then it's quite possible that it's because the CPU is not processing enough to hand-over to the GPU for rendering. Remember, your CPU has two physical (dual) cores. Hyper-Threading (HT) technology is giving you more power but as I said before, I don't value a dual core with HT the same as a quad core. Your statistics are giving me more confidence that the CPU is indeed facing a bottleneck.

Someone from the community may have more to add or even a possible solution. Unfortunately the best I can tell you is to make sure your drivers are up-to-date and terminate any background programs (Skype, Chrome, etc) while you play. I wish I had better news, but I agree that this appears to be a CPU bottleneck issue.

If anyone from the community has anything to add, please do so! I would love to hear different viewpoints regarding this issue.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I was afraid it could be my Card that had issues, but as I suspected the CPU is probably the cause.

I'm planning on changing it anyway, but I just wanted to make sure there was no problem with the card.

Edit: Just to make sure, I closed any background program i deemed unnecessary, plus I used Razer game booster to stop unnecessary Windows services, but it didn't change much, or at least, nothing noticeable.

Edited by greenscent, 01 January 2015 - 04:51 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

You're welcome. Did you build the system yourself or purchase it? It looks like your processor is on the LGA-1156 socket, so keep that in mind when you start shopping.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do. :thumbsup:

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I built my PC 4 years ago, and I wanted to upgrade it bit by bit, starting with the GPU and PSU. next on the list will be a new cpu (i5 4670k) and motherboard(a 1150 socket if I'm not mistaken).

Anyway, thanks for your advices and assistance.