Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have a BLUE screen [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SvenT

SvenT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello TH,

here is the log:

# DelFix v10.8 - Logfile created 25/01/2015 at 21:19:42
# Updated 29/07/2014 by Xplode
# Username : gismeu - GIAMEU
# Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (64 bits)

~ Removing disinfection tools ...

Deleted : C:\FRST
Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\FRST-OlderVersion
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\Addition.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\adwcleaner_4.106.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\Fixlog.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\FRST.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\FRST64.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\JRT.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\SecurityCheck.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\gismeu\Desktop\TFC.exe
Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\AdwCleaner

~ Creating registry backup ... OK

~ Cleaning system restore ...

Deleted : RP #286 [Installed Rapport | 01/02/2015 05:14:19]
Deleted : RP #288 [Restore Point Created by FRST | 01/13/2015 00:36:10]
Deleted : RP #289 [Installed Rapport | 01/13/2015 01:02:01]
Deleted : RP #290 [Installed Rapport | 01/14/2015 19:48:13]
Deleted : RP #291 [Windows Update | 01/15/2015 02:01:46]
Deleted : RP #292 [Windows Update | 01/15/2015 17:48:38]
Deleted : RP #293 [Removed AVG PC TuneUp 2014 | 01/22/2015 00:25:38]
Deleted : RP #294 [Removed AVG PC TuneUp 2014 (en-US) | 01/22/2015 00:27:11]
Deleted : RP #296 [Restore Point Created by FRST | 01/23/2015 18:10:40]

New restore point created !

########## - EOF - ##########

Thanks, Sven

Advertisements

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hello Sven :)

Excellent :thumbsup:  Thank you!

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future ~ A few tips and great information to help your future travels ~

Preventing New Infections

The best thing you can do to protect the computer is keep the computer and all programs updated
Your Antivirus and Firewall are good to go.   Keep them enabled and up to date. 
So you are aware there are other free antivirus options besides AVG.  It's not as good as it used to be.  See here for other options if you would like.
 Remember:  Only one antivirus is needed or necessary.

If you do decide to switch, download your chosen replacement onto your Desktop, uninstall AVG, then run the uninstaller located here and reboot before installing your chosen replacement.  Make sure you use the uninstaller that is correct for your system!

You have Malwarebytes.  It's probably The best antimalware tool.
It catches many items any Antivirus might miss :yes:
Update and run weekly to help keep your system clean.

Windows Updates

It is critical to have both a firewall and an anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated, and to keep your operating system up to date make sure Windows Updates are kept current:
A major essential is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vunerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.
If they are not already or if you need to check:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start Orb. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want. Recommended setting: Install updates automatically

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Program Updates

Keep Installed Programs Up to Date

It's important to keep all other programs on your computer updated because older versions can also have security vulnerabilities exploited by the malware to infect you.
Both Adobe and Java updates are legitimately done on reboot.  Do not take updates on the fly.  Both will supply a balloon in the lower right of the screen, not a pop up window.  If in doubt, reboot and the real one will ask to go. 

It is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications to fix vulnerabilities, this can be done manually by using the Update feature included in most programs or you can use the following program to help you with this:

FileHippo Update Checker or Secunia ;) which you have :thumbsup: 

Exploits of Java and Flash are common. Make sure they stay updated!

To that end, there is a ZeroDay exploit patch for Adobe Flash just released.
To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player installed on your system, access the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe (or Macromedia) Flash Player" from the menu. If you use multiple browsers, perform the check for each browser you have installed on your system.

So you need to do this for Firefox, Chrome and IE.

For more information on Adobe and updates see here.

As for Java:
 WARNING:  The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

CryptoLocker Warning

There is a particularly nasty infection out there at the moment.

Go here for information about CryptoLocker Ransomeware. Learning about what is out there may help prevent infection. The main thing with this infection here ~ is Backup. If you're using an external, keep it unplugged to the computer when you're not backing up files or using it. This will prevent the infection from getting to your backed up files if you ever do come across it.

We suggest users to Download CryptoPrevent free for home use. It will help prevent CryptoLocker.

Note: The Default - "Set it and forget it" protection install is fine.

Backups!

Keep a backup of your important Files. Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital Files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

When installing\updating ANY program, make sure you always select Custom installation, so you can UN-check any possible "drive-by-install" (foistware), like toolbars etc., which may try to install along with the legitimate program. Do NOT click "Next" button without looking at any given page.

When looking to download a program whenever possible go to the authors site.
For example: Don't necessarily click on the top Firefox install listed after a search.  Look at the website it goes to.  In this case it should be Mozilla.org.
FileHippo is also a good place to look for safe downloads.

If you're not positive about a download or file go to jotti or VirusTotal and have it scanned. 

To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Miekiemoes.

Please confirm all is well and good with the computer and you are happy with its current state :)

Be vigilant.  Surf safe :D

SvenT

SvenT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello TH,

thank you very much for all the education and the links for more education!!!

Besides all that help you gave me!!!

Once AVG subscription is over I will switch to MSE (Microsoft Essentials)

Does that include a Firewall, or does the Firewall come from Windows 7?

Regarding IObit, I only have their program for uninstalling programs.

Should I ditch that for Malwarebytes?

Thanks, Sven

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hello Sven :)

thank you very much for all the education and the links for more education!!!
Besides all that help you gave me!!!

You're most welcome :D  Happy to help and I'm glad you are happy :)

Once AVG subscription is over I will switch to MSE (Microsoft Essentials)

Does that include a Firewall, or does the Firewall come from Windows 7?

No, MSE does not include a Firewall.  Windows 7's Firewall is fine, though :)

Regarding IObit, I only have their program for uninstalling programs.

Acknowledged..  There is also REVO Uninstaller.  It is the most commonly used program for that purpose.

Should I ditch that for Malwarebytes?

Malwarebytes is an anti-malware program.  Iobit is a program uninstaller.  I misunderstood.  It is not necessary to pick one over the other. 
AVG paid and Malwarebytes Free should work fine together, also.  If you have issues there, let me know.

SvenT

SvenT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello TH,

am I correct in that our journey has come to an end?

If I remember correctly once a thread gets closed, there is a link for a donation.

Could you please add that to that thread here?

Thanks again and all the very best to you, Sven

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hi Sven :)

am I correct in that our journey has come to an end?

Yes, I suppose it has, as long your computer and you are happy :D  You can come back any time you need to though ;)

If I remember correctly once a thread gets closed, there is a link for a donation.

Could you please add that to that thread here?

That's very nice of you to ask :)  Here is the link to donate to the site.  Click here.

Thanks again and all the very best to you

You're very welcome :D and all the very best to you as well, thank you :happy:

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.