Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2010 to Office 2013

• Please log in to reply

LEO310

LEO310

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I made some folders in office 2010 on another computer.  So how can I open these folders up on office 2013 on computer I'm using today?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hi LEO310 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

First, can I please verify that the files are located on a different computer from the one you are currently using? If so, then you have a few options to transfer or share files between systems:

If both systems are owned by you and you will continue using both in the future:

1. You can share a drive, folder(s), or file(s) between computers on your home network. Each computer will require a connection to your home network, whether that be wired or wireless.
  2. You can share the documents using a "Cloud" service such as Dropbox or Microsoft OneDrive. Each computer will require a connection to the Internet, but they do not need to be on the same network.

If you no longer intend on using the "old" system in the future:

1. Send the documents to yourself via e-mail (ideal for a small number of files, Internet connection required).
  2. Upload the documents to a "Cloud" service such as Dropbox or Microsoft OneDrive and download them on your new system (Internet connection required).
  3. Purchase a USB thumb drive which you can copy your files to and import to your new system.

You have a few options which you can select from. We can help explain the process depending on your choice. Please note that we can only assist you in relocating or sharing documents on systems which you personally own. We are unable to help you copy/remove files from a work computer to a personal computer, mostly due to ethical issues which arise. Please explain a little more about the documents and how you want/need to access them moving forward.

I hope this helps and we hope to hear from you soon! :thumbsup: