Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

want to re-format my Windows 7 computer. That's all (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Partition #1 OEM, holds the Dell recovery image, which you tried to access (reply #3 and #5).   this failed and is unlikely to be of use after this clean install.   Delete it.  

Partition #2 Recovery, contains Windows System files. Delete it. A new one will created automatically. 

You will end up with, Disk 0, Unallocated Space, continue with the next step.  Any required partitions and formatting will be done automatically.

Advertisements

chaldo

chaldo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Partition #1 OEM, holds the Dell recovery image, which you tried to access (reply #3 and #5).   this failed and is unlikely to be of use after this clean install.   Delete it.  

Partition #2 Recovery, contains Windows System files. Delete it. A new one will created automatically. 

You will end up with, Disk 0, Unallocated Space, continue with the next step.  Any required partitions and formatting will be done automatically.

You are awesome. And you were 100% right about these partitions. I can't believe how efficient you are with your replies about everything... thank you so much for your help. The computer is now running like the day I took it out of the box.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for your kind words.

I am glad we were able le to get you up and running, and you are happy with the result,

Now a NAG.   Have you installed virus protection? (one only) > http://windows.micro...1&v4h=winxptab1

Download an On Demand Virus Scanner. Malwarebytes free, > use to inspect every download.

Do not use software that cleans the registry., often causes damage and will make no difference to performance.

Please create a drive image, >  This will be your recovery option as you no longer have the Dell one.  Just follow the prompts.   

chaldo

chaldo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Thanks for your kind words.

I am glad we were able le to get you up and running, and you are happy with the result,

Now a NAG.   Have you installed virus protection? (one only) > http://windows.micro...1&v4h=winxptab1

Download an On Demand Virus Scanner. Malwarebytes free, > use to inspect every download.

Do not use software that cleans the registry., often causes damage and will make no difference to performance.

Please create a drive image, >  This will be your recovery option as you no longer have the Dell one.  Just follow the prompts.   

Curious, even though you said "one only", does that mean only one antivirus + MSE? Also, this is my parent's computer, so I'd rather have something that detects viruses in the background, as opposed to having to manually scan every download (since they don't do any downloading, most viruses just come from web surfing). Would Malwarebytes still be a good option?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, till iammykyl gets back to us, a little explanation for information only.

Antivirus programs in the main, run continuously in the background and watch for and also try and stop any virus from installing.

Because they run continuously this is why you should not have two antivirus programs installed, should a virus try to get in, both will try to stop it and then conflict with each other, quite often allowing the virus in any way due to that conflict.

Anti malware products are a different thing and are set up to work against malware in general. Except for a few paid for programs they are an on demand scanner and are only active when you tell them to run a scan.

You can have more than one installed so long as you only run scans with them one at a time.

However it is getting a little confusing now as so many antivirus and antimalware vendors are now including real time protection against some elements of both malware and virus, especially in their paid for versions. So sometimes it pays to actually ask the vendor which other programs can be installed with out conflicts in those cases.

Nev.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Plastic Nev for stepping in with the explanations.  :thumbsup: 

Curious, even though you said "one only", does that mean only one antivirus + MSE? Also, this is my parent's computer, so I'd rather have something that detects viruses in the background, as opposed to having to manually scan every download (since they don't do any downloading, most viruses just come from web surfing). Would Malwarebytes still be a good option?

Sorry, I meant one only anti virus and MSE to be used.   It is now very good, easy for your to configure so everything is automatic and your parents don't have to do anything, 

http://windows.micro...1&v4h=winxptab1

If you think it would not cause confusion, You could still install Malwarebytes, free,  for you to run an occasional checkup scan. 

chaldo

chaldo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Thanks Plastic Nev for stepping in with the explanations.  :thumbsup: 

Sorry, I meant one only anti virus and MSE to be used.   It is now very good, easy for your to configure so everything is automatic and your parents don't have to do anything, 

http://windows.micro...1&v4h=winxptab1

If you think it would not cause confusion, You could still install Malwarebytes, free,  for you to run an occasional checkup scan. 

I hope you're still there and you remember our conversation. I just ran into a new problem related to what we did. Now when I turn on my computer, it tells me that my version of Windows is not genuine. Can you help with this?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday chaldo.

Yep, still here.   See if we can sort the issue.   Make sure you have the COA written down.   Even though you have already activated, go through the steps. 

Please go to the link below and try,

1.   To activate by using a direct connection

2.   Activate using the telephone

http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Chaldo.

Haver you managed to get activated?

chaldo

chaldo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Gday Chaldo.

Haver you managed to get activated?

Hey  sorry, I was out of town on vacation. I followed your steps, and it worked like a charm! Of course :)

Thanks again!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Great news :rockon: and you are very welcome. :thumbsup: