Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI radeon graphics card dead? (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

hugh2

hugh2

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi. I have a PC running 3 operating systems (XP, ubuntu and mint) and when i turned it on yesterday lots of problems.

Ubuntu either gives me a black login screen or a normal login screen and once in it runs really slow and won't play video (like a still every second -audio is fine.

This block of graphics is around cursor and moves with it..

76d72ec4-ed56-44bc-8ea1-80762cc6d61f_zps

. Mint will login but runs very very slow and has this warning

fb588380-7abe-45f7-b526-e65c28cf57fe_zps

There is the same block of vertical limes around the cursor as on ubuntu

Won't play video (a still every second, audio ok). Windows has these lines on it as it boots, is soooooo slow and most times won't log in (or doesn't by the time i give up... The pattern of 4 lines are new594145f8-6616-43a6-ac49-47820d27a1ac_zps

For it to screw up on 3 OS at once does that mean it is hardware? Any tests i can do to find out? (keeping in mind that i only seem to have access to linux mint at the mo.)

Any advice appreciated

Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-MA78GM-S2H version: x.x Bios: Award version: F5 date: 06/18/2008 CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB Clock Speeds: 1: 2800 flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm).00 MHz 2: 2800.00 MHz Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV610 [Radeon HD 2400 PRO/XT] X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected] GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

Edited by hugh2, 01 January 2015 - 12:56 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

The OS all use different dsplay drivers, so does look like hardware, Try starting XP in safe mode with networking, are the lines still there?  Please post a screenshot. Please use this preferred method. 

How to upload a file or image to G2G. 

First, > click the More Reply Options, (bottom right next to the blue reply button.)  > Type in your text.

If the file or image already exists, > Click Choose file... (bottom left) or see the next part to capture an image.

In the window that opens, > Browse to the file or image you want to upload, > Click the file you want, wait for confirmation at bottom left, 

Repeat if you have more files/images to upload, > When finished, > click Reply button.

To capture and post a screenshot; Instruction are for anyone who is unsure of the steps.. 

With the image you want displayed on the screen.
> Hold down the ALT key and Press the PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side of the keyboard.   (nothing appears to happen, but the image is copied to the Clipboard.)

> Click on start...all programs...accessories, > click paint.

In the window that opens, >  left click in the white area, then > Hold down CTRL and press V. 

On the top menu, > click File > click Save as, Be sure to save as jpeg,...otherwise it may be to big to upload,

save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing.  

hugh2

hugh2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
screenshot from safe mode added BUT lines ARE on screen, they just haven't shown up in screenshot....
Will redo but take a photo and post.........
Edit - first one is a screenshot with no lines visible but the others are photos and those lines aren't captured with screenshot

I have started looking at graphics cards (just in case) but some advice there would be good.
My son uses this computer for games so we might as well get a better card but there is no point in going too flash.
What sort of card should i be looking at to get the most out of it without wasting money on something my CPU/motherboard can't keep up with?

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG
  • IMG_20150102_122733.jpg
  • IMG_20150102_122753.jpg
  • IMG_20150102_122759.jpg

Edited by hugh2, 01 January 2015 - 07:37 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

In Safe Mode, Windows uses a generic driver for the display, so there should be no lines or distortion.   There mey be a problem with the monitor lead, the monitor itself or a PSU  going bad. so I think best to try and work through them before buying a new card..

Sounds like you know you way around the inside of a computer,   Please make sure to always switch of the PSU and take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare metal part of the case. 

Try different lead to the monitor, try different ports. if no luck.

Video card.   Try suspect one in your son's rig, if it works, points to other hardware problem.   If it does not work, try the son's card in your computer.

If no card works in your computer, first suspect is the PSU.   Put a known good GPU in the sick computer, swap in a known good PSU. Test in safe mode first, then in normal mode.

Please give the brand/model of your PSU and your son's.

Will wait for a report before going further.  

hugh2

hugh2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for that, forced me to get inside and jiggle things.
So new cables ans different monitors - no change.
Don't have a spare PSU and sons computer card isn't compatible so i took out graphics card and plugged monitors direct to computer -weird graphics gone.
Graphics card heatsink was too hot to touch.
So when i booted up in safe mode first times monitor was plugged into graphics card and i had the weirdness.
Boot up in safe mode with monitor plugged into PC socket - no weirdness but still slow

I'll go ahead with a new card but keeping in mind the age and power of computer i don't want to get more than it can handle.
Power supply is 350w, mobo is Gigabyte model: GA-MA78GM-S2H
I read somewhere i can use any PCI-e 2.0, is this true?
Preliminary research is pointing me towards geforce gt 730 but it's all gobbledygook to me

Edited by hugh2, 02 January 2015 - 12:33 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The PSU wattage should be OK for a GPU upgrade to the level your contemplating, but there is a dilemma.   

weirdness with GPU installed, PSU under load and may not deliver enough voltage. weirdness gone without the GPU installed, PSU not under load and can deliver enough watts. I do need the brand of your PSU so I can check the Amps on the 12v rail.   Hopefully this is not the case so a new card will fix the problem, but, as you were unable to test the card with a known good PSU,  there is no guarantee and you may still need a new one.

Your hardware will support the listed cards.   The PCI-E x 16  ver 2.0 will support a ver 3.0 card.   All the cards draw there power from the slot, so no need of any extra cables from the PSU.

My choice would be the $79.99, as it has the better specs, > http://www.newegg.co...487-052:$$$$$$$

hugh2

hugh2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi.
ISO switching power sopply,
model no.ISO-450PP 4S

I think it says 16amp on the 12v rail (which is not enough for the cards?)
Can i just go up to any power supply that has 20amps? say a 400 watt supply?

Edited by hugh2, 02 January 2015 - 04:08 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Been researching your PSU, most of it's power is delivered on the 3.3/5.0 rails, and only 16A on the 12v rail. 

Where you see GPU manufacturers, "System Requirements 400W and 20A on the 12V rail" this is for the total system, not the GPU.   The proposed video card only requires less than 6A, but given the poor quality of the PSU and it's age, (also may be faulty) yes, a new one is very advisable. 

Very thorough review, > http://www.ixbt.com/...iso-450pp.shtml

Can i just go up to any power supply that has 20amps? say a 400 watt supply?

I will source you some to look at, it has to have the same dimension to fit your caee, is it mounted top or bottom?

hugh2

hugh2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
PSI is mounted in the top of the box......

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the updates.

You are a little limited with choice as many show as being to wide.

All are semi or full modular 80+ Bronze.   All will do the job well, but consider future use.

http://www.newegg.co...139-049:$$$$$$$

the CX430M would be good, +3.3V@20A, +5V@20A, +12V@32A,  1 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E

The silverstone, higher watts/amps, +3.3V@24A, +5V@20A, +12V1@34A,1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E 

I recommend the EVGA  +3.3V@24A, +5V@20A, +12V1@40A, 2 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E 

http://www.evga.com/...=100-B1-0500-KR

Edited by iammykyl, 02 January 2015 - 11:28 PM.
evg

Advertisements

hugh2

hugh2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I appreciate all the help so far.
Opening a can of worms though.

All will do the job well, but consider future use.

I'd always thought that one day i would just replace the computer...
but after these two upgrades i guess it will do me for many years to come

Is it worth working with the idea of keeping that motherboard as the base of the future computer?
It must be getting pretty old by now.

I'm in australia so i will probably buy local as the shipping from america is a killer.
The place i normally go to does the EVGA 80Plus Bronze 500W for $69 and they list two EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB video cards for $64 and $75 so i will see which is which when i go in there (guessing the more expensive is the better....).
What would be the next upgrade? -probably aimed at improving my son's gaming experience but keeping in mind that he hasn't offered to pay. ;-) )

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcome hugh2 :thumbsup: 

I'm in Brisbane, so know it not worth shipping from the US and we pay though the nose for parts here..

First up, Not worth keeping the MB, it will not support more modern tech.  you would need new RAM.   They would have some value, sell on Gumtree.   If the HDD and DVD are SATA, could reuse.  If your present OS is a OEM licence? it is not transferable to a new MB, you would need a new one.

depending on type, you may need a new case.  When we have sorted the present issue, will give you a proposed list, then you can attempt an arm twist on your son.

Good price for the PSU, buy.

Some of the video cards are passive cooling and/or 1GB of memory, which you don't want.

First choice is the EVGA 02G-P3-3733-KR

Second,  01G-P3-3736-KR

Third. 02G-P3-2732-KR

When in Safe Mode, are you able to download from the web without the computer crashing?

hugh2

hugh2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Seems to download fine in safe mode.

I guess when i get this sorted it will be a giant leap firward going from a 256mb graphics card to a 2gb and if son wants more it will be time for him to get own machine.

This does all i need....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

All you now need is the hardware and Display Driver Uninstaller, (DDU), please read the instructions on the web page,  Download and save to the Desktop.  

> http://www.guru3d.co...r_download.html

When you are ready, please follow these steps.

> Disconnect all external hardware.

> Lay the case down,open side facing up.

> Remove the video card.

Don't know if your PSU is slid in or rails or not, just make sure that you support it when you remove the 4 screws holding it in place.

> disconnect the wiring from the PSU, to the MB, then remove it.

> install the new one, reconnect the wiring, try to do tidy cabling.

> stand the case up, connect the monitor, mouse, keyboard, PSU. .

> boot and enter safe mode without networking. 

> Run DDU, > click the dialogue box  Clean and Shutdown.   When done, 

> Switch off the PSU.

> Install the new GPU.

> Check carefully that al wiring is connected correctly, especially the CPU fan plug. 

> Connect the new card to the monitor..

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, without networking.

> On Boot, if the Found New Hardware starts. Stop It.

> Run the GPU driver/utilities disc, follow the prompts.

> when the computer reboots, run the Display Driver Wizard. 

Be sure to put all the left over cables back in the box and save.

hugh2

hugh2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

"Thanks, works perfectly,

Ubuntu is fine too

now over to the linux forum to sort out the graphics card in Mint (and the several problems from trying various online fixes...........)"

edit........

Spoke too soon............

Graphics card seems to be working fine, everything seems ok but.........

The same error pops up twice at startup (only on my desktop, not other users.

A quick google tells me that it is related to changing drivers..........(with lots of offers to download 'free' .exe files that will sort it out)

Any suggestions

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen1.JPG
  • Screen2.JPG

Edited by hugh2, 15 January 2015 - 04:51 PM.