Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW will not boot on Dell GX620 (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I was trying to boot a Windows dvd and the system states that the boot device was not available.  I put in a regular dvd and it worked fine.  I checked all my bios settings and tried several times with same results.  I then replaced the drive with another one I had and it worked fine.

My question is; do I need to trash this drive or can it be repaired?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello geno368,

Do not discard the drive if it is only the one disk that you having this issue with, optical drives can be picky when it comes to certain brands of disk and/or in the case of burned media some will not read the data on the disk if it has been burned faster than X4, the latter problem is often associated with Windows ISOs which by the information that you have provided it would appear is the type of media you are having the issue with, is that correct. 

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hey geno368,

How interesting that replacing the drive resolved the issue. Have you booted with this drive previously? Are you able to read other DVDs using this drive within Windows? I feel like the issue is more closely related to the BIOS failing to recognize the drive, perhaps due to a lack of support. It's hard to say. Is this a genuine copy of Windows? Did you extract from an ISO as phillpower2 mentioned?

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Thank you both for the replies.  I tried 2 different burned ISO's with same results.  I also tried an AVG boot disk as well.  I went to disc management and it showed "no media"  I put in a music cd and it played fine.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Have you tried a DVD video, or other media that is actually on a DVD disk rather than the CD that you know is OK?

Nev.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

No, nev I did not try that before swapping out the drive...I probably should have...Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Do you still intend troubleshooting the device or are you leaving the replacement drive in place, I ask so that we know what if anything can be done to test the drive.

Can I ask what OS the ISOs are.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I gave the pc back to my sister and am through with it's reformat.  I was just wondering if cleaning her old drive would make it bootable again. I plan to install it laterr into another pc to see if it would play a movie.   BTW they were win 7 h prem

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Honest answer is that we cannot say whether or not the drive will or will not read bootable media after being cleaned, if you try the device with a game or a video and it works ok it suggests that the drive does not like the ISOs or the disks that the ISOs have been burned to, were the ISOs all burned to the same brand of disk.

JFYI: it is not uncommon for only one laser on an optical drive to fail, this can result in it failing to burn, be unable to read either a DVD or a CD or it will play one but not the other.

RE cleaning the drive, optical drives are relatively cheap to purchase and you can if you are not careful pay more for a DVD/CD cleaning kit than it would cost for a new drive, example drive here DVD cleaning kit here

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Thanks again...it was a pata drive and they can also be bought reasonably....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If the drive is the PATA type it may be quite old and so could be flaky.

were the ISOs all burned to the same brand of disk.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I don't know how to conclude the post

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I don't know how to conclude the post

If you no longer require assistance with a thread let us know and the topic can then be marked as resolved  :thumbsup: 

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Please mark it as resolved....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

As per your request geno368 tis done  :) and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup: