Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MyLockbox privacy software and Undelete

privacy security undelete

• Please log in to reply

colin_21

colin_21

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I had some important files that were stashed away on my C Drive using "MyLockbox". I inadvertently deleted the entire contents of the lockbox and then later emptied the recycle bin.

I have used my computer only very lightly in the meantime, so I suspect that I will be able to recover at least some of the files using an undelete utility. Unfortunately, I cannot find any trace of the files, after trying several different undelete programs. Though I see record of just about every file I've deleted since I bought the computer a year ago (most say they're unrecoverable / overwritten). I would expect the recent files to at least be found and show they were say "overwritten".

The folder was (and necessarily has to be) unlocked when I deleted the files. I have been running the undelete utilities with MyLockbox unlocked. 

I suspect that the files being deleted from the "lockbox" may have something to do with the undelete utilities not finding the files. 

From their website:
My Lockbox™ enables you to hide, lock and password protect almost any folder on your computer. You can use My Lockbox to hide your private data from prying eyes - your files will be not accessible both from local and remote users.

So this is not an encryption program.  As I understand it, it just kind of hides the folder from Windows while it is locked up. Not as basic as simply hiding the folder in windows explorer, but not as rigorous as actually encrypting the files. Skilled tech people can still find the files, but novices won't. The advantage of this is you can "unhide" large archives instantaneously.

I   have contacted the vendor, FSPro Labs. They have not been very helpful, but then again, MyLockbox is freeware. I offered to pay for support but it doesn't appear that support like what I am looking for is high on their list of priorities. So I am on my own.

I was hoping someone here might be familiar with how the program actually worked, as it seems to be relatively popular for "light" security / privacy applications. I'm hoping there's just something I have to do that will make the original locations visible to the undelete utility, as it seems the original location is just not being seen.

Many thanks in advance,
Sean

Advertisements