Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound

no sound windows7

• Please log in to reply

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

I have no sound on my mom's laptop and I would like to try to fix it before I actually take it to someone and pay to fix it. Here are the specs of the computer: GEFORCE GTS 360M, Intel Core i5 M430, Windows 7 Home Premium, EAX Advanced HD 4.0.

I have tried to update a sound driver I saw called Realtek HD Audio and that didn't work, I also did a clean install of a new version for the GPU. The word thing is, no sound is coming out but when I play something I can see the a little line that goes up and down depending on sound wave of the song. I added an example picture as a attachment representing where the green line would be at. If anyone could help me that would be awesome!Untitled.png

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

I'd run the microsoft fixit, in case something has been over looked.

Diagnose, troubleshoot, repair sound & audio problems in Windows 7

http://www.thewindow...ound-in-windows

Joe

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Untitled.png I ran both of the tools that had to deal with sound issues and it tells me to pick either the realtek or the speakers, as you can see from the attachment, no matter which thing I enable or set as my default device, no sound plays. 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Looks like my Gateway with the realtek an stuff, every other reboot it looses sound, can't figure it out either.....

Not sure how to advise just yet, because you have covered all the bases from what I see....

Joe

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hopefully someone can help me :/

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Someone may respond and I'm also looking into it.

Joe

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I don't know that particular laptop in question, however some have a small thumbwheel sound volume control, usually on the right hand edge which overrides the software volume control, so if it is turned down you won't hear any sound. Have a good look round the edges and see if there is a small thumbwheel.

Next thing is the speakers themselves, I assume the machine has a headphones port, have you tried headphones and do they work or not?

The socket or port has a set of contacts that isolate the speakers, sometimes pushing the plug in and out can make the contacts work again.

Otherwise, it looks like a failed part of the hardware as everything software wise has been tried.

Nev.

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Headphones do work :)

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, good to hear that, at least that means both I am correct there is a hardware problem with the internal speakers, and that the main part of the sound system is working.

Can you let us know the complete make and model number please, I might be able to find some more information, though to go any further may mean dismantling it.

If not happy with taking a laptop to pieces which can be tricky with no prior experience, I would suggest that it be taken to a technician. Doing the wrong thing in dismantling can lead to broken parts.

Otherwise, either headphones or an external set of speakers plugged into the headphone socket might be enough.

Nev.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Plastic Nev,

Thank-you for stepping in :)

Joe

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

No problem and thanks Joe, and glad to help out where I can.

Nev.