Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving a Youtube clip to my computer

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

I would like to save a Youtube clip to my computer just for viewing, not to edit it in any way.  When I Googled it, there were a few remarks about some of the programs that do this have malware attached.

Could you recomend one you know is safe?  I hope there is a way of doing it on a one time basis without having to download a whole program to do it.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Not sure if it is legal to download youtube videos, let me ask if it is ok to tell you how,

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hum, some might say this is a grey area considering copyrights.

So to try and clear some if not all of that up, any video uploaded to Youtube within the public domain of that hosting site, does mean certain aspects of copyright have automatically been waived as the video is available for public and free viewing.

Therefore DRM cannot apply at least not in full.

However any or all recordings done of any publicly viewed video must only be for your own private use and not for any monetary gain. Trying to sell any recording of something available for free is likely to cause some problems as well as being a bit silly, as who in their right mind is going to pay to watch something they can already view for free on Youtube itself?

The owner and publisher of that or those video's is likely to demand some compensation if you did manage to sell it.

So, to record anything for your own use and not for sale elsewhere is usually quite OK and comes under the fair use parts of the copyright laws in general.

Having said all that, there are a few trust-able and downloadable for free software's available.

Youtube Downloader being one which is safe in itself, however you should be careful during the installation that you remove ticks to prevent unwanted junkware being inadvertently installed alongside the program you want.

Another program available that is mainly a video converting software, which does also include a means to download video's from most video hosting sites, and also convert them to a large number of different formats at the same time, which is called AVC. (Incidentally Youtube Downloader will also do some conversions as well)

Both are known to me as being safe to use and do not contain any form of malware within themselves if downloaded either direct from the creators own websites or well known safe download sites. The only proviso being to be careful of removing unwanted extra's during download and installation when obtained from some third party download sites.

If anyone knows of any part of the above regarding the copyright aspect of downloading video as being incorrect, I don't mind being corrected as I am no expert or qualified copyright legal expert.

Nev.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

You can download any youtube video or any video from any site with this add on for firefox. No third party crapware either.

https://addons.mozil...nloader-player/

programmar

programmar

• Pip
  • 4 posts

If you want the audio you can use this youtube to mp3 converter. http://www.yt2mp3.net

i think you can convert soundcloud to mp43 there too.

hope that helps!

riderr

riderr

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Open the vid;
Add "ss" after "www." and before "youtube" so you get www.ssyoutube;

You'll be redirected to SaveFrom.net service;

On the right there are formats to choose from, pick one and download the video..