Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HUGE Vulnerability

• Please log in to reply

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

skype-logo-feb_2012_rgb_500.png

Have you ever had a time where you are on Skype and someone sends you a .jpg and you can already see the picture? Guess what, what you didn't know is that Skype automatically executes the .jpg and saves it locally without you even pressing anything. You may be asking, how is that a issue? Well, if a attacker has a good encrypting program, all he/she has to do is spoof their trojan, worm, etc, into a .jpg. So, what that does is it basically looks like a .jpg but it runs as a .exe. What is the bad part about this is that Skype normally saves and executes the file without you even asking, so if a person sends you a spoofed file, skype runs and saves it and you are infected without you even clicking anything. I just wanted to warn the community about this as I got this information from another forum where someone was posting and bragging about how many people they infected. That being said, I take NO credit for finding this, but simply reporting what I saw on another forum!

Edited by anthonybugg, 02 January 2015 - 11:58 PM.

Advertisements