Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HDTV Problem (Resolved)

HDTV Custom desktop

• Please log in to reply

Jamie__92

Jamie__92

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey Guys and girls,

Just a quick issue (hopefully) that I would love some assistance with. Recently upgraded to a new 32" 1080p Tecknica TV from a 22" 780p LG TV to be used as a monitor for my PC and for use with a gaming console. Overall, its been working fine, its just that when being used as a monitor for my PC (through HDMI) it seems to have a very pixelated appearance.

The writing on the screen is very blocky and unclear and the picture quality and colouring just doesn't feel right. My question to you is if any of you know why this might be an issue? As there is certainly a significant decrease in quality after the upgrade to a larger, higher resolution TV. 

It is absolutely perfect when using my gaming system however. 

I have tried to utilize my TV through the calibration settings on the  control panel and updated all my drivers.

I am running windows 7 professional

Regards and thanks in advance for any help!

Jamie 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    Jamie__92,

What you describe could be the result of a graphics solution (integrated video chip or add on video card) that is insufficient for a 32" screen, for example for a 32" screen you should have at least 2GB of VRam (video memory).

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Jamie__92

Jamie__92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

HI Phillpower2,

I am running a custom build with a Radeon HD 5670 graphics card which i believe has 1GB of memory. Do you think that could be the issue then? I am also running 6 GB(4+2GB) of Kingston DDR3 RAM and an AMD Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 motherboard. 

Cheers for getting back to me and sorry its taken me a few days to reply, been rather busy with work but have a few days off now. 

Regards Jamie__92

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Jamie__92,

My apologies for the late reply, also due to the workload  :(

Yes it is possible that the card is too weak for a 32" screen, two things to try, disable Aero and reduce the screen resolution to see if the video quality improves, details for both here and here please create a new restore point first before changing any settings.

Jamie__92

Jamie__92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey,

No worries at all cheers for the help!

I disabled aero and have messed around with the resolution a few times before. Seemed to make no difference whatsoever to the text as it is still distorted. It is readable just annoying. Ordered a new graphics card anyway so will update when that comes through. If you have any other suggestions il be happy to hear them. When films or video is playing its generally okay its mostly just pictures and text. Lets hope the new graphics card works, probably about time for a little upgrade anyway haha

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

It is odd that video is ok as that normally suffers the most when you are having display issues  :headscratch:

Can you post the requested PSU details for us, the same for your new video card.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Jamie__92

Jamie__92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yeah i cant quite put my finger on it. Its as though words variate from different fonts and slight size changes and generally makes them pretty difficult to read. The problem is still here after installing new components

Just installed a new Radeon R7 260x 2GB GDDR5 and ATX 750w PSU;

http://www.ebuyer.co...-260x-2gd5-ocv1

http://www.ebuyer.co...-psucit750ugold

The two screenshots you requested should be attached below. Hope that helps! 

speedfan.png

HWM.jpg

Cheers!

Update; 

Installed new drivers and the issue seems to be pretty much resolved now. 
Cheers 

Edited by Jamie__92, 15 January 2015 - 08:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

That is good news Jamie__92 and thanks for letting us know  :thumbsup:

Give it a couple of days and if you have no further problems let us know so that your thread can be marked as resolved, any problems though come right back.