Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop won't connect to internet after reset-SOLVED-

windows 7 network wont connect internet problems

• Please log in to reply

baffledwtf

baffledwtf

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

I am going to try to put this together as well as I can but at this point my brain is fried from trying to sort this out...

I wiped my computer and reinstalled windows 7 with the disk that came with it, and now my internet won't work at all!  First I tried hardwiring it, tried 2 ethernet cables, neither worked, both times it said that there is no connection available or something to that effect.  When I try troubleshooting, it just says "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter.  If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

I have no idea what to do because I don't have any sort of disc for this, and I haven't had to do this before... In the past if I tried hardwiring the internet it would just immediately work, without me needing to download or update anything...?

So then I tried to install my wireless adapter, and no matter which USB port I have the dongle inserted into, I get this error: 

"Insert the wireless USB adapter into your computer.  Click OK to continue."

I will click okay, it will pop up again.  I will switch it to a different USB port, and it will pop up again a few seconds later.  

When I first installed it over a year ago that never happened.  It worked really quickly no problems.  But now no matter what I do it will NOT work and it's driving me crazy because I have no clue what else to do.  

The internet was completely fine earlier today, but after I reinstalled the OS it just will not let me connect to the internet in any way whatsoever.  Help!

Edited by baffledwtf, 05 January 2015 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
What's the make and model of the computer ?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, as well as letting us know the make and model of the computer, or if a custom built one the make and model of the motherboard fitted as zep516 asked for, go to device manager and have a look for any yellow or red marks next to any devices, if there are, click the tiny arrow to expand it, where it should tell you what the device and make is, let us know that as well please.

Nev.

baffledwtf

baffledwtf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

hey guys, I actually ended up getting the wireless adapter to work, turns out for some reason now only 2 of my USB ports are working... I'm pretty confused.  The computer was built by my ex boyfriend, I'm not sure if he messed something up or what, the USB ports have been cutting in and out randomly for quite some time now, probably about a year or so.  I'm trying to fix the "ethernet controller" not working wondering if that could help but cannot figure out which network adapter is in the computer, as it says "not available". I'll post some pics.  Let me know any additional information you need.  I don't get why I would be having so many problems! :(

http://tinypic.com/r/2yy757n/8

http://tinypic.com/r/242hog2/8

baffledwtf

baffledwtf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

oh sorry I missed that last message, I will do that.  I do already know that there are issues popping up in the device manager

the ethernet controller if that's what you're looking for (sorry I'm not 100% sure what to look for) 

says:

manufacturer: unknown

the drivers for this device are not installed. (code 28)

driver provider: unknown

driver date: not available

driver version: not available

he got all the parts off of newegg, I know the motherboard is a gigabyte but I'm unsure of the model, how do i find that out?

EDIT: gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Edited by baffledwtf, 05 January 2015 - 02:15 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Run this program on the computer, post the log......... You will need to transfer via  a cd/dvd or usb device.

Download UnknownDeviceIdentifierand post the log it Creates in your next reply.
Run the program allow it to finish then hit file> save > Save the file to desktop.The default file name will be DeviceList Attach Device list in your next reply

baffledwtf

baffledwtf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • sorry just a sec

Edited by baffledwtf, 05 January 2015 - 01:48 PM.

baffledwtf

baffledwtf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

here goes

Attached Files

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

http://www.dell.com/...?driverId=T83W4

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

The last link I provided says for dell but should work just fine on your machine.

@system32\drivers\pci.sys,#512;Ethernet Controller [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
    Chip: Attansic (Now owned by Atheros)  AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
    Detail
        PnpID
            VEN_1969&DEV_1091&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_10
        Vendor

Device
            @system32\drivers\pci.sys,#512;Ethernet Controller
        Chip Vendor
            Attansic (Now owned by Atheros)
        Chip
            AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet

Advertisements

baffledwtf

baffledwtf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

The last link I provided says for dell but should work just fine on your machine.

@system32\drivers\pci.sys,#512;Ethernet Controller [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
    Chip: Attansic (Now owned by Atheros)  AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
    Detail
        PnpID
            VEN_1969&DEV_1091&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_10
        Vendor

Device
            @system32\drivers\pci.sys,#512;Ethernet Controller
        Chip Vendor
            Attansic (Now owned by Atheros)
        Chip
            AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet

You are my hero! All fixed now, wow thank you so much!! :)

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

You are missing your chipset driver, I suggest you visit the intel auto update utility.

baffledwtf

baffledwtf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

You are missing your chipset driver, I suggest you visit the intel auto update utility.

will do, thanks!

That isn't why my USB ports aren't working either, is it? Or is that just something messed up with my hardware?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

That driver is missing as well.

@system32\drivers\pci.sys,#3075;Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
    Chip: VIA Technologies  VL800 USB XHCI Controller
    Detail
        PnpID
            VEN_1106&DEV_3432&SUBSYS_50071458&REV_03
        Vendor

Device
            @system32\drivers\pci.sys,#3075;Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
        Chip Vendor
            VIA Technologies
        Chip
            VL800 USB XHCI Controller

baffledwtf

baffledwtf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I tried that and did auto detect and it came up empty :headhurt: