Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

Elwood0

Elwood0

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

First off let me appologize if this is not the correct section for this post. Im fairly new to computer internals but recently ive felt the need to build my own computer. My current desktop is on its last legs, lasting a whopping 7 years before now. I kinda know the bare basics of what im looking for but im not sure what is to much for me, as I dont know where ill want to go  in the future. my rough budget is just under $1000. if i really need to go over i can, but id like to stay under that number. Any tips where to start, best places to look. I have tried jumping in and looking at processors and motherboards but without a bit of guidence I feel lost. Thank you for any help i can get and if I need to move this post please just let me know and I will.

~Elwood0

Advertisements

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

I can help you with this. I can see that you have a budget of $1000 which is more than enough. Also just to let you know, you spelling gaming wrong :D

May I ask what state / city you live in? This will be able to help me give you some trusted places to get parts for your PC that I got mine from :)

Elwood0

Elwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Chesterfield Missouri is kinda my area. And sorry, I've been posting from work so I am typing quickly, didn't double check myself >.<

Edited by Elwood0, 07 January 2015 - 03:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

:welcome:   Elwood0,

In addition to what anthonybugg has asked, can any of your present hardware such as the DVD burner or HDD/s be utilized within the new build and do you have a full retail version of Windows 7 etc or will a new OS licence key also need to factored into the build costs.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

http://prntscr.com/5psqh1 <---- That is probably your best bet. They are super helpful and will answer any questions you have. Before you go their make sure you know what parts you want and call them ahead of time and ask if they have everything that you found, of course if they don't have something you want they can try to find a similar product and work with you. If you are buying RAM (specifically the 8GB) you get a good discount as I was just their a week ago.

Elwood0

Elwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

ok, I will check them out once I get a part list together. I am pretty sure my desktop has Windows 7 Premium, and the optical drive might be salvageable, though i was hoping maybe upgrading to blueray, all depends what I have at home, and I check here at work lol. So my first question I guess is how much power do I need. the main thing for me is I want to play some older pc games but with mods, which destroyed my laptop, which was an asus with 4gb ram and an intel i7. like skyrim could barely run and with mods it would die. I don't really plan on playing any of the newest games coming out, that's what the xbox one is for, but all the old games from 360 era that i cant play anymore i want to run as if if not better then on console.

Elwood0

Elwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

So I've looked around a bit and think I have a few ideas. For the Processor i was thinking an intel i5 4690k, looks to be a good $-power ratio. and then im not so sure about motherboards but i saw this one and it seemed good? it was a Asus Maximus VII Hero. No clue on GC, thoughts on what ive looked at so far? am i in the right direction?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally yes i'd go with the i5 4690k

i'd also go with using a gtx 970 4gb video card, 8 GB of ram,

i'd probably go with a cheaper z97 motherboard than the one you listed to try and keep the cost below $1000 with the other parts i'd want, maybe this one :- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157500

i'd also want a ssd os/boot drive and a 1tb storage drive, along with a good bronze+ power supply around the 600watt range.

anyway that's just some more generalised ideas for you to ponder on.

here's a google search i did that should give you links with lots more ideas on other peoples builds for $1000 using an i5 4690k and gtx 970 video card.

https://www.google.c...00 gaming build

i'm surprised nobody has given you a full parts list of what they'd get with $1000 yet,

the choices do seem overwhelming at times but in all honesty get the right cpu, video card, and power supply then the rest doesn't really matter that much, ram is ram, a motherboard is a motherboard, a case is a case, etc etc

of course that's just a simple over generalisation but it's still pretty true, you could pay $400 for a motherboard and yet a $70 one would work just as well as long as it had what you needed like usb3 ports and you wouldn't actually notice any performance differences in daily use, same thing with ram and the case.

good luck with your build.

:popcorn:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
I am pretty sure my desktop has Windows 7 Premium,

Sorry but that was not what I was asking;

do you have a full retail version of Windows 7 etc or will a new OS licence key also need to factored into the build costs.

The reason why I asked is explained in my canned text below;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence. 

If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

Your build must have balance as in you will be wasting your cash if you skimp on any single item, the GPU that you are considering is the most expensive component of your proposed build followed by the CPU, all other hardware must compliment the performance of the afore mentioned which Im afraid will push your budget over the $1000 mark, example list I have put together here please note that the PSU that I have selected was chosen for the following reasons, it has a 5 year warranty, it is Haswell etc compatible and it only cost a couple of bucks more than a lesser 600W PSU that only had/has a 3 year warranty.

Elwood0

Elwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Alright, thank you i will look at these once i get home. So a guy i work with found out i was building a computer and made me a deal. A corsair ax860psu, Corsair carbide 540 air case, and a VFX R9-280x Graphics card, in box for $500, is this a good deal? are these the kinda parts im looking for?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Is there a reason why you will not tell us what type of Windows 7 disk you have.

The parts individually are ok but would not be my first choice in any new build (PSU excepted)  you could purchase the parts new for around $560 so to me $500 is not a good buy, this because the parts used or not are second hand as there is no warranty agreement between yourself and any merchant.

Elwood0

Elwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

sorry the reason i haven't answered fully is im not sure. my grandfather got it for me. so it is a fully purchased version as far as i know, didnt do any pirating on it. so you dont think the parts are worth 500? should i just look for something different or try haggling the price?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

But is the disk the OEM type or full retail, both are the full version of Windows but an OEM product key cannot be used more than once whereas a full retail product allows the same product key to be used more than once as long as the previous installation is uninstalled first, this would apply if you swapped out MBs and HDDs etc and needed to do a fresh installation.

Post a picture of your Windows 7 disk so that we can take a look.

You are spending a lot of money on this so protect your interests and purchase new, remember what I said earlier, don't skimp, you will regret it if you do  :yes:

So you can see for yourself that purchasing second hand leaves you with no warranty, Corsair warranty information here

Elwood0

Elwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

alright ill try and take one when I get home, if i still have the disk, like I said my grandfather did it so he might have it. And I know what you mean about warranties, is there maybe any of the parts if he would let me buy individually and at what price if you think it would be worth trying to get a deal on it? Another question, I looked through your build and is ddr4 ram worth the extra $$? also I keep hearing people telling me not to skimp on the powersupply, if I need to go over my limit I probably can, I have a birthday coming up ;) so can you put together an optimal build, maybe a small list of products I really should have that maybe I can ask for help getting? basically I don't want to be behind technology toooo fast, at least a few years before I'm obsolete. I probably sound like an idiot with all these questions and I appreciate your time you've given to me

Edited by Elwood0, 13 January 2015 - 03:41 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ddr4 ram is not compatible with ddr3 ram, there are physical differences so they can not fit in the same slot. 

so you can not use ddr4 ram in a motherboard made for ddr3 ram, far as i'm aware at the moment the only systems using ddr4 ram are intel socket 2011 systems and your building an intel socket 1150 system that all use ddr3 ram.

about the 2nd hand parts, yes you could use them (don't like the case myself tho but there's nothing wrong with it) but the price he's asking is over the top in my opinion for 2nd hand parts, even tho they are good parts i could get them from ebay for about $450, get them for $300/$350 mark then i'd say yes buy them if not leave them alone and go with new.

:popcorn: