Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

upgrading video card

• Please log in to reply

tranman527

tranman527

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Im upgrading from radeon 7500 to 9600xt. Should i uninstall the driver first then remove the old video card and put in the new one? Then download the latest driver after i put in the 9600xt.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. It does not matter what sequence you do these but I suggest doing it before you change the card. Download the latest driver for the new card. Then go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and download Driver Cleaner (it is free). Go to Add/Remove programs and remove the current video driver. Shut down your system and change out the video card. Then boot into SAFE MODE, and run driver cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current driver for the new video card.

tranman527

tranman527

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wow thanks alot, you're a great help. I didnt even know driver cleaners existed. ;) I know im a noob. :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Most people find out about driver cleaner when the are trying to figure out why their system keeps crashing and rebooting after upgrading the video or changing the driver. It is good you didn't have to learn about it that way.